going out coyote hunting tomorrow

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
no luck last weekend near palomar mountain.. gonna go down the 10 east past the salton sea and try some luck out there. anybody have any experience hunting just south of the 10?

I have called in several coyotes and a bobcat south of the 10.

I was out by Corn Springs, a couple weeks ago. The dogs in that areas are call shy as it gets hit hard. I had a couple working with hand calls but they would not come into shotgun range. Didn't have a rifle with me.

just got back, took a while but I called in my first dog ever. I had wind in my face and my e-caller about 150 yards out. I was on a ledge up against a bush looking over a large wash. All of a sudden a coyote darts from behind me and runs straight past me at about 10 yards, he had his eyes on my decoy and charged it, then noticed it was a trap and started darting to the side, i barked a couple of times and he wanted to stop but just didnt, I tried to get him on the run but it was too late... second time ever calling coyotes and finally called one in, cant wait to go out again!

good work calling it in from your 6 o'clock.. that must of got the adrenaline going..

Awesome glad to hear you had success. I typically carry a shotgun on stand with me in addition to a rifle just in case a scenario like the one you described unfolds. It's a pain to carry two guns but it will help you kill more coyotes.

Yeah, I've been carrying my 12 gauge with a full choke and #4 buckshot, honestly I was just too overwhelmed with adrenaline to put the rifle down and lean over to get the shotgun. Good learning experience though.

kylemg0009 said:
Yeah, I've been carrying my 12 gauge with a full choke and #4 buckshot, honestly I was just too overwhelmed with adrenaline to put the rifle down and lean over to get the shotgun. Good learning experience though.
Sounds like it. If I see an animal it's always infinitely better as a learning experience, and a lot more rewarding, than seeing nothing at all. Watching the animal react tells you so much about what they key on, what they can perceive with their senses and what they miss, etc. For example, watching an animal's head come up right when you know it's directly downwind of you, and how it reacts to any decoys you've put out (scent, sight, etc) is really cool.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu