Good ground squirrel hunting with a bonus

doccherry

May 7, 2021
Got my 26th ground squirrel in the past 3 weeks yesterday, all in my backyard. I live in Fallbrook and these ground squirrels are everywhere. I use a pellet rifle or pistol to keep the noise down. Went down to the garden yesterday evening to pick some lettuce. We have above ground black irrigation tubing everywhere. Saw a short piece out of the corner of my eye and that piece of tubing moved. Closer exam showed fangs at one end and rattles at the other. Ran back up to the house and grabbed a .410. At a distance of 6 feet, the rattler's head completely disappeared. Now, today, every little branch or shadow on the ground is a rattler. Will go out right after dark with my headlamp and .410. Don't like these little bastards and am more than happy to send them to their celestial reward.

Here are two squirrels from past hour. The king snake photo will be up momentarily. We have lived here 21 months. Have seen 2 snakes. Rattlesnake yesterday evening and unbelievably beautiful king snake 20 minutes ago. Wife took some great photos of king snake. Will post as soon as she has finished cooking dinner. Saw 4 squirrels when I went down below with my pellet gun. Got two. The number one source of bubonic plague in So Cal are these damn squirrels. I toss them over the back fence, put up trail cams, coyotes come by and get them at about midnight. King snake photos up against our house coming up shortly.20210525_153045.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu