Grasslands Clubbin'

A-5_Guy

Nov 4, 2014
Escondido
I was the guinea pig for a CWA sponsored veterans hunt up near Los Banos at a club that is thinking they want to keep doing this every year this past weekend. I can say that I'm truly happy to know their are not only patriots in this state, but also ducks and geese and all manner of water fowling things! I cannot say enough about the couple of guys I met from this small club but they had big hearts and were true waterfowlers. I'm medically retiring from the Marine Corps in about a month and this is what I'll remember about CA water fowling---well this and the mud at Wister. Last two shots were especially memorable as they were a double on Mallards.

Had a great time with limits on Saturday and Sunday and was invited back on Weds. Needless to say I've been burning up the road between SD and the grasslands. Had to chow down on some ducks when I got home Sunday to make sure I wasn't over possession, which is a new problem for me, haha...

Also was nice to take my first Specklebelly. He was alone and VERY lonely and responded to the call unlike anything I've ever seen.

It was great to see birds actually working the spread and decoying.

Here are some pics.

Saturday 1/21
View attachment 29530

Sunday 1/22
View attachment 29531

Weds 1/25
IMG_4368.JPGIMG_4385.JPGIMG_4374.JPG

Great stuff. Deleted the other thread for you. Are you having trouble posting? The pics look fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!.....Glad you were able to be the "Guinea pig" for such a great program.....And it's always great having days like this occasionally.....Great pix and thank you for your service.

ps.....A-5 shooting a Benelli?.....lol

Sprig, if I think I have a chance at some geese I'll bring the SBEII...I know, I'm a huge hypocrite!

Sharp eye though. A seasoned waterfowler no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
not a bad time to be a guinea pig. I was thinking the same thing on the benelli lol, I saw the picture and said wait a minute there is no humpback on that gun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu