Gravel Paths at San Jacinto

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
Last year I hunted a blind at San Jacinto that had a gravel path underwater leading to the blind. It made the trip in and out of the blind much easier. I'm not sure why this one blind had gravel, maybe the mud got really bad at one point? How come more blinds don't have gravel? I assume one reason is because it's a lot of work for an unnecessary convenience. I would volunteer in a heartbeat for volunteer days dedicated to putting down gravel paths. Of course, wading through the mud is good exercise, but less time wading means more time hunting when you have to make trips back to the truck!

Last year I hunted a blind at San Jacinto that had a gravel path underwater leading to the blind. It made the trip in and out of the blind much easier. I'm not sure why this one blind had gravel, maybe the mud got really bad at one point? How come more blinds don't have gravel? I assume one reason is because it's a lot of work for an unnecessary convenience. I would volunteer in a heartbeat for volunteer days dedicated to putting down gravel paths. Of course, wading through the mud is good exercise, but less time wading means more time hunting when you have to make trips back to the truck!

Good question...I can think of a number of blinds that would be better with an underwater graveled path versus a dirt runway.

When the next workday at SJ comes up (probably late July, early August) you might want to show up and run that by Tom. I think some of it has to do with if a particular pond is emptied during the off-season. I suppose if a pond is dry they can come in with a tractor bucket or two of gravel and lay down a path but if it's a pond that they don't drain I don't think it's practical to do it. Maybe if you volunteer to do it by hand Tom will lay down a pile of gravel you can distribute a shovel full at a time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter527

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu