Great Books I read in the last year

Cormac McCarthy, in my opinion, is the greatest living American writer.

Blood Meridian
All The Pretty Horses
The Road. (One of the great books of the
last 30 years, again, imo.)

I was going to say the same thing. McCarthy, in my opinion sets the benchmark for storytelling. Not only All The Pretty Horses, but the entire Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, and Cities of the Plain) really changed my perception of the depth of storytelling and emotional involvement achievable with the written word. Perhaps because in Billy and John (characters) I felt he had created kindred spirits to myself. But also in the way he describes the landscapes that his characters move through. I’ve always loved the arid west and McCarthy writes about it in a way that can only come from personal experience. I hunt Coues deer in parts of AZ that Billy and Boyd passed through in The Crossing and he certainly did a great job of conveying the loneliness, the wild of that country. These things can be very personal though.

I highly recommend those books. They changed the way I assess a story, an author. I always felt Steinbeck created a similar portal into his stories. Tortilla Flat, Grapes of Wrath, The Pearl, Cannery Row.

Legends of the Fall is a compilation of a few Jim Harrison stories. Excellent as well.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
I have been into CJ Box lately he has a novel series based on a Wyoming Game Warden named Joe Picket. If you are into hunting and reading you will like these.

I have been into CJ Box lately he has a novel series based on a Wyoming Game Warden named Joe Picket. If you are into hunting and reading you will like these.

Yep I’ve read a bunch of those too. They’re fun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu