great read about the 243 win & 243 Ackley

thats what ive been saying for years,. i have a nice bolt gun in 243 got it for 300 used with a decent scope and it hits very nice at 500 yards +

I alos built a 243 DPMS ar10 type 243 with a 20" barrel it shoots better then i can out to 800+ with 6" groups.

I love the 243.

I also have 308's and 300 savage but i reach for the 243 all the time.

great post

Re: great read about the 243 win & 243 Ackley

Great stuff Ghost. Thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk

I love shooting my .243, it's my favorite gun. But all of that ballistic and reloading info is a bit overwhelming! :-X

The 6mm in general is an amazing little round. There are so many good options for that little bullet. And it makes an amazing predator round up through antelope and deer.

No recoil, accurate and deadly!

Love the .243.........Wish I would've kept the ones I've had over the years.........Now I need one for my daughter......... ;D

Agree that it's a great round for hunting California. I load 70gr Nosler BT for predators and 85gr Barnes X's for big game. Takes care of all animals that can be hunted in Cal.

Lungpopper said:
Agree that it's a great round for hunting California. I load 70gr Nosler BT for predators and 85gr Barnes X's for big game. Takes care of all animals that can be hunted in Cal.

True facts...

Baldkrash said:
I love shooting my .243, it's my favorite gun. But all of that ballistic and reloading info is a bit overwhelming! :-X

How can I help?
if one studies the art trigonometry. it will help with the MOA & Millirad part of it.
Minute of Angle is a basic triangle calc. study trig and it will fall into place.
sam for millirads .
Minute of Angle (MOA)
MilliRads (MRD)

then there is Bullet drops at different interval of distance, that's when the MOA is applicable.
all you are doing is increasing the angle to compensate for the distance the bullet drops.
and it's different for each cartridge and rifle. the ballistic given by the manufacture are just rough starting points.
then there's the wind deflection. basically another triangle move. how much do you have to adjust for the wind. the federal ballistics gives a starting point for their ammo.

one needs to really research all the about it I have not discussed temperature change & elevation change due to barometric pressure. higher you are up less wind resistance. hotter the temp. the hotter the loads will get.

so now I need to put this into practice . by actual shooting and testing my equipment.
the force of the wind

about reloading since I am a basic NOB I can only say that it's overwhelming at first. but if you get the basic equipment & study the recommended specifications it will fall together. I know there is shops out there that give training. which I believe would be really helpful for starting out.
I have been using Youtube as a starting training guide, but I will be seeking professional guidance.

the ballistics once you get the jest of it, is actual relatively simple.
all I look at are!! what is the starting muzzle velocity (out of the barrel) & the velocity of the bullet when it hits my target. it is better for bullet stability if it's super sonic(1125 ft/s) or faster than the speed of sound. The bullet is stable and does not tumble. that's the theory.

what is the kinetic energy of the bullet when it leaves the barrel, what is the kinetic energy when it hits the target. this where many opinions are different. it has been a rule of thumb once upon a time 1000 Ft/LBS was the minimum. I believe it depend on the size of the game or if it's just target practicing. I try keep the to the target at 500 ft/lbs kinetic energy minimum.. so when i look at the Balistic of a cartridge I take mental look at distance where 500 ft/lbs drops. I use this for medium size game or smaller. I would stick with 1000Ft/Lbs of kinetic energy for larger game.

then there;s the Ballistic Coefficient of the bullet itself. all I know right now about that is the higher the number the better for medium or long range target or game hunting.

then there is the density of the bullet for better expanding & bullet charistic. I still learning more about this same thing as the BC. higher the number better for game hunting.

and I sure I'm just touching the tip of the Iceberg. but for it's enough to start.

I am sure That if I am out place there will be rebuttals and I am counting on it.
I really like getting into these types of discussions.

uplandfam said:
thats what ive been saying for years,. i have a nice bolt gun in 243 got it for 300 used with a decent scope and it hits very nice at 500 yards +

I alos built a 243 DPMS ar10 type 243 with a 20" barrel it shoots better then i can out to 800+ with 6" groups.

I love the 243.

I also have 308's and 300 savage but i reach for the 243 all the time.

great post

what I like about the 308 & the 243 is ammo is readily available every where. since I did not reload and was happy to pick up a box when I needed it. it has worked for me. I happy with my 243.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu