Grumpys Elk Chili

GUNDOGLOVER

Dec 5, 2018
!.5 lbs. ground Elk, two large onions diced, 2-10 oz. cans tomato sauce 1-14.5 can Italian style stewed tomato, chop if needed, 1-15 can drained kidney beans, 1-4 oz. can diced green chilies, 1-4oz. can diced jalapenos, rib and seeds removed, 1.5 tsp. fresh ground chili powder, or to taste, 1.5 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1tsp. salt, 1tsp. black pepper, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar.
brown meat, add onion until slightly cook, drain off any grease, add the rest of ingredients cover and simmer two hrs. Best if cooked at least one day ahead of time.
I made my own chili powder, 3 dried ancho chilies, 1 dried dhili d' arbol, 1 dried NM. or pasilla chile. Remove all seed, I use coffee grinder to grind mine. You can buy pre ground.
You can adjust heat buy adding more chili powder, especialy, chili d' arbol.
I have won two chili cook offs with this chile. I made it two days ahead of time.
I put out the rest of the chili powder on the side for those who prefer a little more heat.
Serve with grated chees and chopped onion.

I just might try the ground squirrel. I love squirrel. going have to shoot several of them to get just 1.5 lbs. of meat. For cook offs I will use as much as 3 lbs. of elk. and increase everything else accordingly.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu