Guess what season opens tomorrow

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Not to place a quiz up here when we are certainly all preparing for the AM hunt....
It's Crow season (starting December 5th). When you are out there for Dove and predators consider reducing the number of Crows. I've lost at least 8 hummingbirds (eggs and chicks) in the past 18months to Crows.
Crow season opens tomorrow.

Between crows and ravens, they have devastated our local bird populations including turkeys!.....I'll do my part.

Kill a crow, save a turkey..... :mad:

Just wish raven was open as well. 99% of black birds by me are ravens and the crows don't leave the neighborhoods (kinds like the Eurasians). Keep in mind the crow hunting zones. A lot of area you can't hunt crow (half of Riverside CO, almost all of San Bern CO, etc). Seems like the only time crow comes in is when I'm predator hunting!

hey steve, what are the ones down in the IV... crows or ravens? maybe I can help ;)

ivhunter said:
hey steve, what are the ones down in the IV... crows or ravens? maybe I can help ;)

Rick,

Few crows in the IV.........Mostly ravens......... :p

ps......Protecting ravens is another one of the stupidest laws ever....... :-[

Yes, you can and should call them in. You can use hand calls, e-calls, etc.

"Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings."

If you put out a prey decoy and do distress calls, they tend to come in and swoop for a meal. If you have the ability to spot and blast, go get some!! I don't have that luxury local to me.

Reactions: Loosenutswelding
8SteelTown said:
Yes, you can and should call them in. You can use hand calls, e-calls, etc.

"Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings."

If you put out a prey decoy and do distress calls, they tend to come in and swoop for a meal. If you have the ability to spot and blast, go get some!! I don't have that luxury local to me.

I use a hand call too and a decoy works well. Decoys are fun to use since you can bring a bunch of them in and then blast away! :mad:

I have killed 100's of crows and back in the day (50's & 60's), there was even a bounty of .15 cents on them. Paid for your shells.....Crow decoys are good, but a owl decoy is the ticket.....E-callers are great in the sense you have both hands available for shooting....I still like my hand calls and occasionally will drive the crows crazy in my neighborhood......lol

ps....The pix are from the Compton Hunting & Fishing Club (Long Beach).....Most crows were shot in the Chino/Corona area.

Attachments

• fish fry 7-21-12 013.JPG
    fish fry 7-21-12 013.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 26
  • fish fry 7-21-12 015.JPG
    fish fry 7-21-12 015.JPG
    566.6 KB · Views: 29
Chris,

You can kill anything with an 870.........Crows are just about everywhere locally............Learn to call and they will come..... ;)

Christian K said:
I have noticed there are at ton at my high school, and at dusk they flock around a mall in Bonita, one question what do you do with the crows?

I can tell you, that you don't eat them................. ;)

Then what do you do with them? My grandpa said that he used to tie them up on a tree over water so as they decayed maggots would fall into the water attracting fish, then he would use white corn.

Christian K said:
Then what do you do with them? My grandpa said that he used to tie them up on a tree over water so as they decayed maggots would fall into the water attracting fish, then he would use white corn.

Well, I guess if you have a pond that would be one use........ ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu