Gun exposure training

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
How have you guys exposed your dogs to gunfire?

I’ve seen guys of YouTube do it with pigeons ( get them fired up on a bird and then shoot in the distance, reducing the distance over time).

Any other techniques/recommendations?

I have always started my dogs using a starters gun, even then I always let them get out ahead of me and wait until they have found something to get their attention. In my case that would be pigeons I have in release traps, then I shoot a round and see how they react, and go from there. Always have them associate the noise of the gun with an activity they enjoy.

You are on the right track with you original post and what GDL is saying, Start with a wing clip pigeon that can't fly and a helper with a starter pistol away (100 yards) Use hand signals to notify the gunner when you want a shot ( I use a raised hand), wait until the dog is totally involved before you call for a shot and move in slowly ten yards at a time, Do this over several days with the pistol and the start over with a 20 guage and do the same when they are used to the pistol. If at anytime you see the dog alert to the shot stop move all the way back and start over again another day . If you gun shy a dog most times its not fixable.

Over the years I would take my new pups to the Trap & Skeet range in El Monte. I would start out way at the back of parking lot keeping the pup interested in a dummy with shots in the background. If I saw no so sign of concern or fear I would move a little closer and repeat until I had pup standing within close range of shooters. Then I would back off and repeat and leave on a high note only to return to shooting park asap and start all over till I could be almost right next to friends shooting. Goal was to get to a point where the pup would lay down and show little or no interest in the loud bangs. This pup I have now actually fell asleep while close to guns going off.
It’s worked for me and have never had a gun shy dog.
IMHO probably the most important part of training with a slow is better attitude !!

The way I’ve trained all my dogs is use a friend 100 yards away, fetching them with a bumper multiple times. after a few retrieves just as they’re given the release command I would shoot a round as they are breaking if they react at all move further away, if they don’t care, move closer until they’re standing next to you I also practice using a piece of wood when doing retrieving drills I would clap the 2 pieces loud as I send them to retrieve each dogs different. I advise, moving slowly and cautiously you don’t want to spook your pup.
Mike

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
I started throwing a bumper down my side yard and popping balloons.
And then worked my way up with distance and louder guns. Key is the dog needs to be occupied and doing something they enjoy when the shot goes off.

And when your dog is OK and not gun shy it doesn't mean they'll be OK with any loud bang. My dog for example does not like many rifles or the mortar fireworks.

I brought my dog aboard the Saratoga during live fire. Now a shotgun sounds like a bubble popping. Only took one trip.

Start slow, see how pup reacts to mild noise when eating. Dogs will start to tolerate noise better when they are doing something they enjoy. I have use a tin can with a few coins in it and shake it a couple time when they are eating to see how they react, most times they will take notice at first then after a few times, they just ignore it and go about eating. When I first take them out training, I will let them get out exploring at a distance, then fire a stater pistol and see how they react, constantly closing the distance and watch their reaction. Eventually we work up to actual hunting situations. Done properly, you will have a great hunting partner. Done wrong and you will have a house pet.

Reactions: Cmlandscaping

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu