Had a conversation with a big cat while scouting last weekend.

So does anyone actually worry about the lions? I hunt Laguna mostly and ever since having 2 in one picture on my camera off of Morris Ranch I’ve always been sketched. Even staying 10 minutes into complete dark on evening hunts I get sketched.

Anyone have advice or tips? I’ve hunted for 10 years now (being 22) and never had any issues but now that I’ve seen pictures I just worry.
I have always worried about them, since I saw my first prints and kill site. Its just something to keep in mind if your solo. Like hatchet said be prepared mentally and have some sort of deterrent on your belt. Long hikes out to your spot in the dark can get spooky. I'll keep a handheld light besides my headlamp to shine behind me every so often. Just to make sure i'm not being followed by some kitty eyes. I still get out there and do my thing.

So does anyone actually worry about the lions? I hunt Laguna mostly and ever since having 2 in one picture on my camera off of Morris Ranch I’ve always been sketched. Even staying 10 minutes into complete dark on evening hunts I get sketched.

Anyone have advice or tips? I’ve hunted for 10 years now (being 22) and never had any issues but now that I’ve seen pictures I just worry.

Just be aware, kinda like surfing and sharks. Like mentioned above they have a large range so the cats you see on the camera one day could be many miles away the next day. Hunting with a partner and repeated visits to the same area alone helped take the edge off for me. On the plus side If you found cats, the deer are probably not to far away.

@BOWUNTR hikes in the night in grizzly country with deer on his back. Pure inspiration right there.

I saw that, if she would of turned her back it would of all been over.

If thats the kiosk for the visitors to read, whats keeping it in? Fence not shown?

Darwin Award winner right there....
Be glad nothing happened (as far as I know) or else the family would have sued the zoo for millions because for some reason idiocy and ignorance is a national past time nowadays.

Ignore the dates and time there wrong and didn't realize it when I placed the camera last week. I put this camera in off of Red Tail in Mt. Laguna x5 days ago (Friday to be exact). 2 days later at 2030 this one comes walking through. Sketchy. I don't do this mountain lion crap.,. I'm gunna try to find the ones from Morris Ranch last year

Attachments

• PICT0281.JPG
    PICT0281.JPG
    458.1 KB · Views: 47
I've had one come into camp and stare at me from about 40 yards at night while hunting alone in Los Padres, and the following year (last year) I had one openly follow me from where I gutted and loaded my deer into my pack to where I made camp for the night in the sierra wilderness.

Lions don't give a shit about people in CA and there's likely way more than the biologists estimate.

I've had one come into camp and stare at me from about 40 yards at night while hunting alone in Los Padres, and the following year (last year) I had one openly follow me from where I gutted and loaded my deer into my pack to where I made camp for the night in the sierra wilderness.

Lions don't give a shit about people in CA and there's likely way more than the biologists estimate.
Don't care about humans as in they stay away or they're not typically interested?

Reactions: Bill S.
I have a very good friend that is awaiting the day the reverse the decision on hunting mountain lions. It's an old camera that uses powder for flash and even afterwards you can even go up and pet the kitty... LMAO

Guys, this is undoubedtly the sneakiest predator there is. I have discovered two at less that 50 yards wondering if we were worth going after. I am telling you they move in such a way that unless you know what you are looking at only your body's stop measure will tell you.

Oh, bozos, deny that at your peril. Sure you are the great white hunter. I'm not going to say it but.... Gotta dial in on that. Or not.

I'm a houndsman and I have hunted them in other states, and that is about the only way you can successfully hunt them. Very very few people have ever killed a lion specifically hunting it just spot and stalking without dogs. In other states the overwhelming percentage are taken in front of dogs and I have heard of a few stories where people were out deer or elk hunting and bumped one and were lucky enough to have a tag on them and shot it, but even that is rare. They are like ghosts, I've only seen one in the wild without my hounds.

I'm a houndsman and I have hunted them in other states, and that is about the only way you can successfully hunt them. Very very few people have ever killed a lion specifically hunting it just spot and stalking without dogs. In other states the overwhelming percentage are taken in front of dogs and I have heard of a few stories where people were out deer or elk hunting and bumped one and were lucky enough to have a tag on them and shot it, but even that is rare. They are like ghosts, I've only seen one in the wild without my hounds.
Ttavel to D16...there you will see them daily...evidently..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu