Has this ever happened to anyone?

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
So we went out on a privately chartered boat yesterday...I'm going to intentionally leave out the boat info...

Our work group got to the docks and we are hanging out in the parking lot when we notice a few people that nobody recognized. The trip was open to family and friends so nobody wanted to be rude and question the unknowns in case they were related to someone from work. Word quickly spread throughout the group, with everyone asking, "Do you know those people?" "These people" brought several rods, reels, and tackle. As we shuffled in line to get on our boat everyone quickly realized these three people were filing in to get on our boat.....that we paid to charter. Finally, someone tapped one of the guys on the shoulder as he was about to board and said, "Sir, you know this is a privately chartered boat, right?" The guy said, "Ah damn, someone should have told me." We then quickly pointed out the two others whom did not belong.

The captain of the boat walked one of the guys off the docks and had a conversation with him well away from the boat. This conversation lasted for about 3 -4 minutes. While this was going on we asked one of the deckhands what had transpired. The deckhand said, "They knew what they were doing. It happens all the time."

I have a few questions...Has this happened to anyone before? Is this common? I am wondering if the captain knew about this. Did he try to get his buddies on? The only reason I question this is because of the long conversation he was having with one of the guys away from the boat. Now, maybe he was giving him his piece of mind, or maybe he was telling him about upcoming public boats... or maybe he was apologizing, who knows.

Thoughts?

they were friends of the boat..... no harm you caught them before you left dock.

Did you catch any fish?

Depends on the boat and it doesn't hurt to toss the name out your not bashing them your just pointing out issues you ran into. Most owners want to know about stuff like this

One of the boys had a birthday and his parents chartered a boat for just family & friends......There were a number of "Deckhands" that went along.....And those "deckhands" sure knew how to throw iron..... :D

Probably a common occurrence, if not mentioned to the captain...... ;)

I am sure the boat owner would want to know who is dead-heading his boat. Captains do this frequently. Their buddies ride free on your dime. The one time I thought I was going to get a chance to deadhead the owner (also captain) came up and stuck his hand palm up. Lol, that trip I even scooped bait for the tanks. Some friends are like that.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu