Hauling out meat?

coyotekid87

Aug 16, 2014
D11
Ok so i admit it, I'm a freakin gear head! I research a lot of different products and I always try to window shop for certain things that i feel would benefit me for certain situations. This thread will be for "Meat Hauler" packs designed for back country hunters. Do you own a meat hauler type pack? If not are you looking for one? I have been doing a lot of research lately on backpacks, specifically for hauling out meat. I haven't been too impressed with a lot of the Badlands packs (except for the "summit pack" but its not a good game hauler) and I think that the Tenzing packs are a joke and way too $$$. Redhead from Basspro has a good selection of packs but their frame pack is heavy, i think around 6lbs just for the frame. Easton makes a line of hunting packs not and they look ok, but the Easton pick up is by far the more superior of the line. It has a meat flap that allows you to hook your meat up on the exterior of the pack. The quality seems pretty good and the price point seems about right, but it has limited storage options if you are planning on using it to haul more gear and meat. Alps Outdoors makes a pack called the "Traverse EPS" and it looks like a super capable pack that can hold TONS of gear but I don't think that the expandable meat pocket is a very realistic size. I think while researching, my favorite pack so far is the JP9 "Blue Widow" from Eberlestock. Eberlestock has definitely designed packs for back country hunters in mind. The "Just one" serious is extremely versatile and offers a ton of options for using or customizing your bag. Both Eberlestock and Easton packs are available at www.lintonoutdoors.com, and I'll leave some links for some product videos below. Let me know what you guys think. Also, what meat hauler type pack do you guys use? Lets make this a very informative thread guys. Thanks!

Eberlestock JP9 Blue Widow
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY7fgSF83Vw[/youtube]

Eberlestock "Just-One" series (Including JP9)
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-0UYxjD6ys[/youtube]

Easton "Pick up"
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ET8ivvEfoA[/youtube]

Thanks guys! Please include any gear recommendations you might have! Or if you currently own a similar pack, comment and let us know what you use!

OOPS!! I missed one! Here is the link for the Alps Outdoors "Traverse EPS" By the way you can pick up this pack for about $100-$130
[youtube]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IXcBo7G4QU[/youtube]

A buddy of mine had a Mystery Ranch meat hauling pack. Most bullet proof pack I've ever seen. Probably the most expensive too.

Personally don't have or use one.

Kuiu is all I have to say. I just got mine this season, and it's hands down amazing. 10 x's better then my eberlestock. I'm positive I could fit a whole average sized deer in it. Plus your gear

coyotekid87 said:
What model Kuiu do you have?

Icon pro 7200 and 1850, they're amazing. I'm about 6'5" and i can adjust it to fit me perfectly. Expensive, but worth it!

Don't know the Kuiu line but have a lot of experience with the Eberlestock J36, X2 and Mini me I have hauled with the J36 and X2 and can vouch for their ability to haul elk (two front quarters at once plus small parts or one hind quarter plus parts. The J36 hauls more than the X2) for deer and sheep you can the whole thing if its not a monster. Personally I like an open pack frame once the animal is down for hauling because you can really load it up but that depends on the terrain you have to walk.

Cool thanks guys! I am going to look them up and then provide links for product videos for anyone that may want to view them! 8)

Kuiu Icon pro 7200
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NeYa0y6UwI[/youtube]

Eberlestock J34
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwgwyEfhVY[/youtube]

Eberlestock x2
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTDpvxu5tA[/youtube]

I also have the X2, personally I'm not a huge fan. I took it on an overnight trip and it sucked. It's alright for a day pack. Fits my girlfriend well, but I couldn't adjust it to correctly fit my body.

I have a friend who has the Mystery Ranch and I will vouch that it is an excellent pack. I loaded a hind elk quarter on it last season and it was comfortable and stable coming off the mountain. They are all US made too. Eberlestock is now made in China. They had some quality challenges after there transition offshore. Still a very good pack though.

Thanks Ghost! And thanks to everyone else that shared all of the good info. I am going to do some more research and see if i can get a hold of some of these bags so I can do a legit field demo and comparison video for everyone to see. I will make a follow up post with the results. Until then, I have some other ideas for gear reviews and the research is in the works. Check back for new posts on gear reviews. Oh and if there is a subject you would like me to address or particular gear that you would like a comparison of just shoot me a PM. Thanks!

coyote

My buddy hunts with the Outdoorsmans pack system. It's pretty amazing. Might want to check it out as well. It'll probably be my next pack purchase

MR for me I can put 100# of elk and walk out with no problem great adjustability

And I have a take down one for hauling meat out of Tejon hell holes
http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/products.html
It goes together real easy and adjustable to fit small & big frame people and is comfy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu