Hawaii axis

BudMiyamoto

Aug 8, 2018
There is a really fun axis deer hunt in Hawaii. Archery is feb there is no draw and guaranteed get a tag. There’s a lot of deer and some nice trophies. Rifle and muzzle loader there is a lottery but it’s pretty much guaranteed to get drawn it’s just to draw what week you get. I’m going for the archery in feb. if anyone is interested let me know and I can help you out. I did this feb season 3 years and our group tagged out every year.638ED8FB-61F8-4628-96C1-D6FC1240CA06.jpeg

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
is the archery hunt just in feb? @BudMiyamoto
Yes it’s 8 days in feb. most bucks are in velvet but you will see a few hard horns. There is a mouflon sheep hunt also that happens in July that’s also fun but challenging due to low sheep numbers. Axis application comes out in oct.

Big Island has plenty of sheep.. and goats lol. Had axis deer for a couple years too but just eradicated em.
6f263662a465f72996a1d3edec0ec7d7.jpg
f340147a64edbdf3d3cf6111c8e3aa13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

interesting ok thanks for the info. thinking of putting together a family trip somewhere exotix where the family can have fun and i can hunt and fish.

interesting ok thanks for the info. thinking of putting together a family trip somewhere exotix where the family can have fun and i can hunt and fish.
There is some good goat and pig hunting on Kauai that is year round. And good for the family to keep busy.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
There is a really fun axis deer hunt in Hawaii. Archery is feb there is no draw and guaranteed get a tag. There’s a lot of deer and some nice trophies. Rifle and muzzle loader there is a lottery but it’s pretty much guaranteed to get drawn it’s just to draw what week you get. I’m going for the archery in feb. if anyone is interested let me know and I can help you out. I did this feb season 3 years and our group tagged out every year.
I've been interested in the hunt for a while, and read through all the HI state info, but I'd be curious to hear from someone who has done it. How would you rank the hunt in terms of difficulty (access, physical, opportunity, etc)? Also, what are the logistics or costs in getting home skull and meat?

I really want to go for a rifle season.

I've been interested in the hunt for a while, and read through all the HI state info, but I'd be curious to hear from someone who has done it. How would you rank the hunt in terms of difficulty (access, physical, opportunity, etc)? Also, what are the logistics or costs in getting home skull and meat?

I really want to go for a rifle season.

I really want to go for a rifle season.[/QUOTE if really good access you could literally sit on the road at your truck and have a really good chance at a nice buck. Terrain is kind of rough but not to bad you can cover a lot of ground on foot. If you put in work and get away from the roads you have a really good chance at a trophy. Really nice terrain and a lot game. If you want to rough it and Campos cheap but people rent their homes for 50-75$ per person a night and 4x4 trucks for 100-150 a day. I think rifle is only two days so wouldn’t be to bad. And shipping meat back can be 50lb in your cooler as a regular check in and carryon a soft cooler if need.

I wonder what the cost would be and what the cost of flying over would be .

95$-non res license 120$ tag flight an be from 400-650
i would love to do this!!!!! so whats the cost of a axis @BudMiyamoto
usually can get house rentals for 50-75$ a night and trucks are
i would love to do this!!!!! so whats the cost of a axis @BudMiyamoto
100$ a day.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Thought the hunting was all on pvt land not public?

Thought the hunting was all on pvt land not public?
They have a state hunt every year on lanai. For axis and mouflon. There is also a private side that does offer paid hunts. But the state hunt is diy

Was in Maui last week, and on the road to Hana, drove by one local's shed that had a bunch of what looked like Axis deer antlers on it. Wasn't sure if he got them on that island or another though......

Was in Maui last week, and on the road to Hana, drove by one local's shed that had a bunch of what looked like Axis deer antlers on it. Wasn't sure if he got them on that island or another though......
There's axis deer in Maui, Lanai, and Molokai, and for a short time on the Big Island but were recently eradicated. The ones that were on B.I. were there because of a bright idea by a couple ranchers/hunters to trade some B.I. mouflon with a Maui axis. The state, with the help of USDA I think, paid some pro hunters to take em out before they proliferated.

There's axis deer in Maui, Lanai, and Molokai, and for a short time on the Big Island but were recently eradicated. The ones that were on B.I. were there because of a bright idea by a couple ranchers/hunters to trade some B.I. mouflon with a Maui axis. The state, with the help of USDA I think, paid some pro hunters to take em out before they proliferated.

Cool, thanks. After I posted this, I looked up hunting on Maui. Looks like there are actually some nice deer there.....

My buddy worked for PIFWO as a biologist for years and ended up running the entire thing on an elected position for a year or so. He ALWAYS tells me how hawaii had the best hunting of any place he has hunted.

Apparently their upland game hunting is phenomenal as well as goat, pig, and axis deer. This doesn't even account for the fishing!

My buddy worked for PIFWO as a biologist for years and ended up running the entire thing on an elected position for a year or so. He ALWAYS tells me how hawaii had the best hunting of any place he has hunted.

Apparently their upland game hunting is phenomenal as well as goat, pig, and axis deer. This doesn't even account for the fishing!
Yea I can't speak for the other islands, but Big Island has plenty of pheasant, francolin and other similar upland birds, and a huge turkey population that few people seem to hunt. I'm not sure why, but most of my local buddies there just aren't into the turkey thing even though there's plenty around. They're more into bowhunting for sheep/goats and dog-and-knife hunting for pigs for whatever reason.

Yea I can't speak for the other islands, but Big Island has plenty of pheasant, francolin and other similar upland birds, and a huge turkey population that few people seem to hunt. I'm not sure why, but most of my local buddies there just aren't into the turkey thing even though there's plenty around. They're more into bowhunting for sheep/goats and dog-and-knife hunting for pigs for whatever reason.

Yeah dog and knife is popular in Hawaii. Hawaii is awesome for hunting. Maui has really good goat and pig hunting and a lot of axis too. Molokai has axis and pigs even Black buck but no public hunting there it’s all private. Lanai has the best bow hunting opportunity for axis and mouflon otc. Kauai has good goat and pig there is even black tail deer on Kauai. Big island is awesome too. They got feral sheep, mouflon and the hybrid cross bred (mouflon/feral) Hawaii has allot of hunting opportunities.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu