He got away!!!

OCOutdoors

Oct 3, 2012
I haven't been out coyote hunting since like April and a buddy of mine wanted to go sight his AR in so we went out this morning. Since his AR wasn't sighted in yet I brought my 22-250 for him to shoot. Our first stand in the morning I turn on the FoxPro to Lightening Jack and let it go for about 8 minutes then switched over to pup distress, less than a minute later a dog is running the ridge to us and stops at 186yrds. I gave my buddy the go ahead and he squeezed off the trigger, it's a hit and the dog flops around and then out of sight on the other side of the ridge(I hate it when I coyote doesn't drop in his tracks). We grab our gear and start hiking to where we last saw it and started hearing it yelping so we followed the sound to a ravine with lots of brush but couldn't see it right away. I thought this was a done deal and grabbed my phone to video the yelping and my buddy finishing him off, didn't happen a that way. The dog ran out of the brush on the opposite side of the ravine and just kept running so my buddy never got off another shot(he's a lot more comfortable with a bow than a rifle). Looks like he hit a little low and only broke its left front leg so it was able to move fairly quickly. We were able to find some blood from where it rubbed against some brush but that was it and never saw it again.
That was the only dog we called in today, saw 3 others but it was while we were driving so couldn't make a stand on them. I'm gonna try and upload what little video I got from my phone.

I've seen some dogs live that were in a lot worse condition though I'm not completely sure but it looked like he was only hit at elbow joint.

OCOutdoors said:
I've seen some dogs live that were in a lot worse condition though I'm not completely sure but it looked like he was only hit at elbow joint.

I popped one in the gut and made him spray fart all over :eek:... never was able to find him :(...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu