Heading out for A26 Bass Hill Hunt

code3run

Feb 27, 2011
Covina Ca
My cousin talked me into putting in for A26 (Bass Hill Archery) with him with my 8 points. We drew it and we will be heading out this Wed for a 9-10 hour drive. Supposed to be a good rut hunt but we will see.

Well we made it back from the hunt. What a great hunt it was with plenty of opportunity to shoot a buck and I mean big bucks! This is an excellent hunt if you can draw it. After a 9 1/2 hour drive from LA area we arrived 2 days prior. We saw lots of deer and I got some great pics and video including a giant buck in full rut 6 yards. He didnt care I was standing there taking pics of him. We also followed a giant 3 by 3 in the pkg lot of our motel that was chasing a doe. I got great video and pics of him too.

I had the best week of hunting seeing tons of deer and first time ever grunting in bucks into shooting range. That was fun. We called in bucks from 200-300 yards into 30 yards. I put on a lot of really good stalks and I actually passed up some really close shots on smaller bucks.

We met some ranchers who were great and let us hunt their property and even drove us around for a day. Really cool guys.

My cousin put a 2 hour stalk on a really nice buck as I watched and guided fromt the truck. He finally got the 4 by 6 to come into 71 yards and he drilled it and watched it bed and die.

As for me its a whole different story! We called in a nice 3 by 3 from 75 to 60 yards and I range it and shoot and hit in the horn!

I put another stalk on a bigger buck from 300 yards into 30 yards. My cousin was on the raido guiding me in. He said your real close so I look in the high sage and see the doe busted me 30 yards. I look to left and see the big buck looking right at me partially behind a sage bush. The doe busts so I draw back and shoot the buck for 30 yards. My arrow defelcts and goes right over his back!

The second to the last day we get on two bucks 40 yards from the truck. I get out and walk up and have a nice 3 by 3 20 yards! I draw back and put my pin on and shoot. My arrow hits him a little high right and sticks in about 4 inches!!!!! We park the truck and wait about 30 minutes, mean time a super nice 3 by 2 is 25 yards from me and of course I dont shoot. We go look for my buck and my cousin is telling me looked to high and right. We get to the spot and no blood anywhere. I find my arrow broken off with 3 inches missing. We zig zagged the flat sage for almost 2 hours and find no blood or deer anywhere.

Needless to say I didnt bring anything home but had the hunt of a lifetime! I will post a couple pics shortly.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu