Hearing enhancment

wackums back

Nov 6, 2013
Does anybody have experience with in the ear hearing enhancment/aids in a hunting setting? I’m thinking of getting something as I’ve definitely noticed a reduction of hearing capacity as I get older. I know there’s walkers and other brands, I’m looking for a recommendation from actual in the field experience with particular brands. I can’t hear gobbles of higher pitched turkey sounds well anymore and if I do I definitely can’t pinpoint direction or distance.

what?

been though a few of them and here is my take.

Proears predator muffs work rad and you can hear shit like crazy with them. They are a pain in the ass because they are muffs but they do work very very well

walker razor xv neck band. I wanted them to be the answer and they so could be but sad to say its not. Walker built them with a crap speaker so the sound quality is just horrible. They seem like they amplify sound just fine and the nose canceling seems to work good but they just sound like poo. Calls via bluetooth are so so and music is just pure poo. They lasted one season and died a horrific death. Walker if you are reading this Make them better and ill try again. how freaking much can a good driver cost you per each unit?????

what i have used all season so far is the proears stealth 28. seems durable and bat life is good. sound quality is fair to good. Bit to much static sound at higher gain settings.
https://proears.com/product/pro-ears-stealth-28/ the over the ear part is odd at first but im getting used to it. i like the neck band like the walkers better. i Do run the foam over the mic hole to limit wind sounds. it seems to make no difference when its calm.

Quick Question @Aeon ... when you're using products like this Stealth 28, for example, are you still able to detect WHERE a sound you're hearing is coming from positionally around you?

Also... a product like these Stealth 28... How well do they fit inside a Mesh Facemask? I usually have a Mesh Facemask on the whole time I'm out there.

yes... all 3 keep your stereo hearing so direction of sound is not affected.

one interesting thing is that a lil bird in the brush can sound like a trex chasing after you. takes some getting used to before you settle down

the 28 fits just fine under a facemask.

yes... all 3 keep your stereo hearing so direction of sound is not affected.

one interesting thing is that a lil bird in the brush can sound like a trex chasing after you. takes some getting used to before you settle down

the 28 fits just fine under a facemask.

Hmmph... cool. And just 60$? Guess I know what I'm ordering next.

Oh another question... can you independently adjust the amplification for each ear separately? One ear has Trauma so a lot of the highs got compromised on it, so that's why I've had interest in these types of devices so I could balance my hearing better (as well as protect from gun blast, obviously)

(Hrmm...Lookng at that web page again, seems to only show an ON/OFF switch. A user review says the turn ON to their full volume, and then ya gotta bump 'em down. Doesn't sound like they have separate volume controls. Dang it.)

Last edited:
I noticed that pro ears has a Stealth Elite coming out that is lower profile then then the 28. I'm going to have to look into one of these too.

Have a look at the iq boost ear buds. I almost got a pair. You can adjust them to your ears. The mfg won't tell you they block sound levels for things like guns but they look interesting

I can't do ones that don't have some kind of strap holding them in place. Those kind always fall outta my ears.

Cyanoacrylate and string are your friends :)

HA! You know I had to Google it.

BTW, Fun Fact: Did you know that SuperGlue is often used as a first-line stop-gap measure to close-up cuts in on-the-field Sports medicine and sometimes in ER/EMT settings?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu