Hearing Protection

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Do you speak it?

I'm just wondering what everyone does for hearing protection, if anything, while hunting. How do you balance preserving your ear drums with listening to what's going on?

msteiger said:
Do you speak it?

I'm just wondering what everyone does for hearing protection, if anything, while hunting. How do you balance preserving your ear drums with listening to what's going on?

Only when high volume wing hunting. I use foamy's.

I have my bow tuned so I don't need to use any................... ;)

Lungpopper said:
WHAT :-\ !!! :-\ YOU SAY SOMTHIN

LOL.........

I sure wish I used it when I was younger. My wife says I can't hear her half the time.

msteiger said:
Do you speak it?

I have never used it in the field when hunting but always when target shooting.

Snake Charmer said:
I have no problem hearing wildlife moving in reasonable conditions but for some reason unknown to me I'm unable to hear my mate ;) when she talks to me, had that problem all my life....
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foam plugs just loosely fitting in my ear for dove. Pheasants and quail I need to hear the dogs and birds.

When hunting with either my rifle or shotgun I only wear one ear plug in the ear on the side I shoulder my gun (well at least 50% of the time). If I'm target shooting then I wear them in both ears. At least one ear should still work when I'm older... ;D

I dont use any most of the time hunting or shooting. But I am thinking about getting some Pro Ears to use when hunting and shooting.

any of you guys try some of the fancy and freaking expensive in ear electronic plugs? I want to get some but for what they cost i need to know they will work. I am doomed if i do not do something. I wear foam plugs dove hunting and muffs when i run the airboat. It's hard to wear them duck hunting, i love hearing ducks :)

My dad had a pair of the Walker Game ears and hated them. He said the sound amplification was awesome, but with that comes the inability to determine which direction the sound were coming from. Two years ago he wore them dove hunting and I laughed my @$$ off because for the first hour he was just spinning around, trying to figure out direction of the birds.

His hearing is poor as is, but still, I just omit ear plugs when I'm hunting and only wear them target shooting.

I've looked at the 3K ones that are custom......one day I'll do it when we can get the Mil spec ones, those are impressive but I'm sure they cost in the neighbor hood of 10K and the control module is bigger than my cell phone.

I have used the Surefire ones with a little modifications to allow a little more sound in.....they work better than the foam ones when in the ear canal but it still sounds like your in a tunnel.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection.html

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu