Hello SoCal Hunters!

BigJoe

Nov 26, 2013
I'm new to hunting, although I've been around guns a great deal since leaving the US Army 15 years ago. I live in Riverside and am looking for a couple of guided hunts for my first ventures out into the hunting grounds. I took my hunter's safety course, but everyone there was real hush hush about spots to go hunt small game. A couple of questions-

1. Anyone use Raahauges for their quail or duck hunts? How were they?

2. Any good places around Riverside that have decent rabbit hunting?

3. What kind of gear should I bring out for a rabbit/quail hunt (types of knives, bags etc.)?

Thanks so much for the help!

Hello Joe and welcome to the site....

It's not often epic duck hunting but you can get some and its very low cost. Call them and let them know you are a newbie and looking to learn i am sure they will help you out.

Go east! out into the desert. :) giving up locations to hunt on the interweb is dangerous, If i said go out to exit blah blah tomorrow there would be 20 guys waiting for you! quail numbers are in the dumpster this year so might as well forget about them but if you look hard you might get lucky.

humm what kind of gear? a man should always have a knife. or do like i do hunt with people who have one. a ziplock to put game in after you clean it is always a good idea. Just start going! the gear you need will fast become evident and you will start to amass a huge a pile of stuff to bring

BigJoe

Gear will depend
#1 preferences, #2 the location.

I generally use a shotgun 12 gauge with No 4, 5 or 6 mod choke. Some use a 22 LR for those long shots. or even Air Rifle.
I use a bird vest , and use plastic bags to throw the rabbits in, til I am done hunting. then I gut & skin them then throw them in clean bag.
keeps the parasites off of me. like fleas & ticks.

cottontails are my general prey. jacks tend to be further shots.
locations are not given because then hundreds of hunters decent on the spot.
just buy the BLM & National Forest Maps to Start. also another post here recommended an application for the smart phone.
I had a Friend of mine show me his and it works very well. I would still buy the maps.
I do not know your area but I would recommend to start looking at maps and look for low elevation areas with grassy vegetation.
and start hiking. my best recommendation is to start at day break .

Have Fun

Welcome to site! Whenever I go bird hunting, I bring a 5 gallon jug of water that I leave in my truck. That way I can clean the birds before bagging them and putting them on ice.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu