Help me overthink my 300PRC load choice.

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I picked up a browning 300 prc with the intent of having an "out of state only" longer range hammer for elk/deer/bear and am struggling with bullet selection. It has a 26" barrel and 8" twist so it will stabilize anything.

On one hand, Hammer Hunters in my 6.5prc are insanely accurate and shoot really well, thanks @JakeSCH! So, I may run 199 hammers. I am also considering just buying factory ammo, Hornady ELD will likely shoot MOA and has 2500ftlbs at 500 yards, AKA plenty of power and the "easy button." Finally, I could go all out with a 230 a-tip for real high BC, 215 berger which is also renowned, or something else? I understand that a custom lead load will take the most load work up so I am not sure if it's worth it or not, I am green to reloading.

That said, I've watched my dad shoot elk with his 300wm and it smashes animals, much more so than my .270 or 6.5. From cheap core-lot, 150 gr ttsx, to heavier "proper" elk rounds like Trophy bonded and Partitions the effect it has on animals compared to smaller rounds is significant.

So, knowing I am overthinking this, what say you?

Oh, and here is the kill shot from my elk last year @431 yards with my 6.5prc and 124 hammer hunters because who doesn't love elk on the ground? My longest kill to date. I swear that bullet hit the hair I was aiming at.

co elk 2022.jpg

The only way to go from a green reloader to an experienced reloader is to do it.

215 Berger Hybrid under Vihtavuori, Retumbo or Ramshot Magnum.
The 6.5 really liked n570. Might as well start there with the 300?

The factory ammo of the 300 PRC would be a solid choice...and the 215 Bergers have killed thousands of elk.

That said, I bet we could get those 199 hammers safely 250 fps faster than the Bergers or ELD-M. If you will never shoot at an elk beyond 700y, I prefer a mono metal w/ the extra velocity over the higher BC of the 215 Berger or 225 ELD-M.

Reactions: 180ls1
215 Berger has had an excellent track record for elk and I would not choose any other projectile. I’ll caveat that with saying if I was hunting CA they I would work up a load with hammers.

215 Berger has had an excellent track record for elk and I would not choose any other projectile. I’ll caveat that with saying if I was hunting CA they I would work up a load with hammers.
Have you personally run that round and what is your experience with it or are you just going by general consensus? I don't mean that as a dig in any way, just trying to figure out how you came up with that.

By the way, I looked for a little while online and that round seems to be sold out everywhere.
I’ve seen a fare amount of copper shoot great at closer ranges. Then start acting crazy at distance. Lead is far more reliable at distance.
Load the 215 Berger in it.
Do you think that's a copper problem or a stability/velocity problem? It does seem like lead is the way to go for long-range, that said. I've never shot an animal past 500 but would like the opportunity to do so if the conditions present themselves.

The factory ammo of the 300 PRC would be a solid choice...and the 215 Bergers have killed thousands of elk.

That said, I bet we could get those 199 hammers safely 250 fps faster than the Bergers or ELD-M. If you will never shoot at an elk beyond 700y, I prefer a mono metal w/ the extra velocity over the higher BC of the 215 Berger or 225 ELD-M.

I was looking last night and did find this. That rifle is identical to mine except it's a RUM. Very interesting results and it looks like they pushed the hammers 300fps faster than the 215.

Do you shoot the factory stuff? I am really tempted to at least try it and see how it does.
I won a 300 PRC and gifted it to my father inlaw @BBH. He has a bunch of factory Hornady ammo and he is also working on handloading. @BBH what are you going to load?
I just know that if you want a reliable hunting bullet those ELDX are going to stay together and penetrate deep.

Have you personally run that round and what is your experience with it or are you just going by general consensus? I don't mean that as a dig in any way, just trying to figure out how you came up with that.

By the way, I looked for a little while online and that round seems to be sold out everywhere.

Do you think that's a copper problem or a stability/velocity problem? It does seem like lead is the way to go for long-range, that said. I've never shot an animal past 500 but would like the opportunity to do so if the conditions present themselves.
Technically the elk I have killed was with a bow. I’m simply speaking to a consensus

Reactions: 180ls1

Definitely a stabilizing problem. Copper doesn’t spin like lead.

@Lungpopper and I have allegedly killed one or two elk with the 215 Berger. Without getting into detail, the bullet works effectively.

I won a 300 PRC and gifted it to my father inlaw @BBH. He has a bunch of factory Hornady ammo and he is also working on handloading. @BBH what are you going to load?
I just know that if you want a reliable hunting bullet those ELDX are going to stay together and penetrate deep.
Working on a 199 Hammer Hunter load for 300 PRC. Have found Hammers to work very well for hunting distances. Load 140 Absolute Hammers for 280 AI. Have shot them at targets at 600 yds and made a one shot kill on Antelope at 200 yds +. Load 214 HH for 30 Nosler and killed a pig at 200 yds +. Have not experimented with the Hammers at 1000yds +. The Berger 215, 220 Hybrids are my go to for long range targets with 30 Nosler. The Hybrids are not the best choice for hunting because they can severely fragment. Lost an Elk front quarter using 220 BH.

Last edited:
Working on a 199 Hammer Hunter load for 300 PRC. Have found Hammers to work very well for hunting distances. Load 140 Absolute Hammers for 280 AI. Have shot them at targets at 600 yds and made a one shot kill on Antelope at 200 yds +. Load 214 HH for 30 Nosler and killed a pig at 200 yds +. Have not experimented with the Hammers at 1000yds +. The Berger 215, 220 Hybrids are my go to for long range targets with 30 Nosler. The Hybrids are not the best choice for hunting because they can severely fragment. Lost an Elk front quarter using 220 BH.

I suspect most bullets you shoot into an elk quarter will cause massive damage @BBH .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu