Help with skins

Littlmama

Jan 14, 2020
I'm going to try to do some tanning/ hide prep. I figured I would start with something small and easy/plentiful. I have a few rabbit skins from the end of the season and found an easy pickling recipe to prep them. It calls for Alum. (Not sure if that is aluminum sulfate or ??) Tried HD, Lowes, wally world, and a few nurseries but can only find it online or $$. Was wondering if anyone had any around or if anyone knows who carries it. (or if that is the right type of alum?)

Try your local grocery store in spice section. McCormick, it is potassium Ammonium Sulfate. sold under the Alum name.

Reactions: Littlmama
Thank you guys! Going to try it this week/start today. Hopefully I got the right kind of alum (online) and didn't leave the skins salted/freezer too long. I'll check out taxidermy.net as well.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu