Here's "Lucky"

White Smoke said:
Going out Thursday, the last day before the club's self-imposed moratorium during pupping season. All the guys on TV seem to get their animal on the last day and hour of their hunt. Maybe I'll be lucky too.

How long is your puppy break

March 1 to July 1. Most clubs prohibit or discourage their members from hunting coyotes during this time (pupping season). Some clubs go as far as to kick any member out of their club that is found to be hunting during this time. Our club does not do this, but discourages any hunting except for depredation hunts. We have a couple of landowners that are really impacted by coyotes and we will hunt on these specific properties year round.

White Smoke said:
March 1 to July 1. Most clubs prohibit or discourage their members from hunting coyotes during this time (pupping season). Some clubs go as far as to kick any member out of their club that is found to be hunting during this time. Our club does not do this, but discourages any hunting except for depredation hunts. We have a couple of landowners that are really impacted by coyotes and we will hunt on these specific properties year round.

Probably another topic but since you brought it up;

I'm curious if DFG biologist have done a study on the impact hunters have on coyotes and whether or not hunting them during "pupping season" has a significantly negative impact on their numbers.

I won't argue with someone who is educated in this area but I find it hard to believe that hunting them during the above dates would have a negative impact. Or is it an ethical dilemma where you may be leaving pups to starve if the parents are killed?

All coyote hunts are depredation hunts. So by definition there is no better time to hunt then march 1 to July 1. ill turn in puppy ears for my bounty :)

Aeon said:
All coyote hunts are depredation hunts. So by definition there is no better time to hunt then march 1 to July 1. ill turn in puppy ears for my bounty :)

Lol rad

I've heard two reasons for the moratorium. First is, as you mentioned, the ethical issue that we would rather kill humanely and not let them die a slow lingering death by starvation. Secondly is the selfish reason that, by leaving them alone during pupping season, we have more to hunt later when they grow up. And true, all predator hunts are depredation hunts, but, and I'm sure you knew this, what I'm talking about is hunting the 'yotes that are specifically targeting domestic animals, cats and dogs, and livestock, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.

Just worked out some handloads for "Lucky". Using 24.0 grains of H335, CCI 450 magnum primers and Hornady 53-grain V-max boattail bullets produced a five-shot, half-inch group at 100 yards. Three bullets went through the top hole. This is a five-shot group!

Attachments

• AR test loads 001.JPG
    AR test loads 001.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 11

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu