Hey Ya'll!

kalenone

Feb 18, 2019
Los Angeles
I just moved to Southern California. I'm from Texas by way of Colorado and I'm looking to find some local hunting opportunities. I'm primarily a whitetail and an elk hunter, although I really enjoy Spring Turkeys and September Doves too. I'd like to get into some DIY hunting locally but I'm also not opposed to hiring a guide to show me the lay of the land initially. Does anyone have any advice for a guy on a budget to get out there? I mostly bowhunt nowadays. Any advice would be welcomed. All the best!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Welcome to Southern California. I do some dove hunting and it really is a blast. I am going to target quail this season. Getting in to Bow hunting this year for big game too, lots to learn but all exciting stuff.

Get OnX Maps. Look at all the Forest and BLM lands. Most people are very tight lipped around here about their spots. Get boots on the ground and do some looking. You are probably gonna want an A22 tag. Give you a lot of time to get out there and do your thing. Any specific questions feel free to DM me. I would be happy to show you around a little bit.

Tex,

Welcome to SCH....Bummer you can't make the tune-up Saturday….You'd probably learn more at this one event than all the other places combined....The one thing you'll find out about SoCal is the amount of public land versus Texas....And even Colorado to a lesser degree....That said, our public gets hit pretty hard....If you have the opportunity to hunt Mon-Fri, it's like hunting two different spots....Since much of our habitat is thick chaparral...Animals can & will hide right under your nose....As mentioned, A-22 will be your best opportunity for deer locally (D-16/San Diego)

There is a hunting club (MCC) near Lake Henshaw that offers 1000's of primo acreage for turkeys, deer, upland, fishing, & waterfowl.....No outfitters or guides locally that guide for turkeys to my knowledge....You'll have to go way north for that.

As mentioned above....NWTF has monthly meetings to discuss all hunting here in SoCal....Fun time with like minded folks....Get involved, you'll be surprised how much knowledge you'll receive.

Steve

Welcome to Southern California. I do some dove hunting and it really is a blast. I am going to target quail this season. Getting in to Bow hunting this year for big game too, lots to learn but all exciting stuff.

I love bird hunting but big game is definitely my favorite. And I wasn’t that into the idea of bow hunting for the longest time but I picked up a bow last season and
Tex,

Welcome to SCH....Bummer you can't make the tune-up Saturday….You'd probably learn more at this one event than all the other places combined....The one thing you'll find out about SoCal is the amount of public land versus Texas....And even Colorado to a lesser degree....That said, our public gets hit pretty hard....If you have the opportunity to hunt Mon-Fri, it's like hunting two different spots....Since much of our habitat is thick chaparral...Animals can & will hide right under your nose....As mentioned, A-22 will be your best opportunity for deer locally (D-16/San Diego)

There is a hunting club (MCC) near Lake Henshaw that offers 1000's of primo acreage for turkeys, deer, upland, fishing, & waterfowl.....No outfitters or guides locally that guide for turkeys to my knowledge....You'll have to go way north for that.

As mentioned above....NWTF has monthly meetings to discuss all hunting here in SoCal....Fun time with like minded folks....Get involved, you'll be surprised how much knowledge you'll receive.

Steve

Thanks so much for the info, Steve. I’m bummed I can’t make the event - maybe next year. Or maybe I can drop into a meeting. I will definitely check out MCC. Is A-22 in Cleveland Nat Forest? I’m looking forward to scouting public. I’ve grown so accustomed to pay to play in TX which can get costly for sure.

Get OnX Maps. Look at all the Forest and BLM lands. Most people are very tight lipped around here about their spots. Get boots on the ground and do some looking. You are probably gonna want an A22 tag. Give you a lot of time to get out there and do your thing. Any specific questions feel free to DM me. I would be happy to show you around a little bit.

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate the warm welcome. I actually downloaded onX a while back but haven’t devoted the time to exploring with it yet. I wasn’t sure where to begin out here so I’m really grateful for the advice and the offer - I may very well take you up on that.

I love bird hunting but big game is definitely my favorite. And I wasn’t that into the idea of bow hunting for the longest time but I picked up a bow last season and

Thanks so much for the info, Steve. I’m bummed I can’t make the event - maybe next year. Or maybe I can drop into a meeting. I will definitely check out MCC. Is A-22 in Cleveland Nat Forest? I’m looking forward to scouting public. I’ve grown so accustomed to pay to play in TX which can get costly for sure.
A22 is San Diego County either-sex archery. Recommend reading the CA regs front and back.. lots of stuff in there to trip us up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My pleasure....MCC may be perfect for you....Let me know, if you'd like a drive about….Hard to see it all in one day.

All MCC stuff this past season....;)

.005.JPG006.JPG016.JPEG001.JPG013.JPG008.JPG001.JPG016.JPGsquirrels 7-24-13 007.JPGhenshaw...5-31-13 005.JPG

Cleveland forest is d-15, part of the super D, for orange, LA and Santa Barbara County

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu