Hi I'm New Here, High Desert Jackrabbit Hunt

Big Jim Slade

Oct 7, 2020
Bullhead City AZ
Hello all. I'm new to SCH Outdoors.
I live in the high desert here in sunny Southern California.
Today I met up with a hunting buddy I haven't seen in over a decade. We took his 12 year old son out to get some jacks and teach him some shotgunning.
IMG_3021.jpg
This is me and him lookin very cool. He has my Citori 20 and I have his M&P .22.
We saw some tortoise loving.
IMG_3024.jpg
And a bobcat.
IMG_3026.jpg
And a half dozen big jacks.
We let the kid take lead for the day to let him learn. Jumping the bunnies up, listening for the brush rustle and subsequent thumping of little rabbit feet, when to shoulder his weapon, aiming etc.
We didn't shoot anything but I have to say today was one of the best hunts I've been on in a very long time.
Thanks for reading,
Jim.

Last edited:
I’m in the ventura/santa barbara / Thousand Oaks area, is there anywhere within a couple hours you guys know of that I could take kids rabbit hunting? I’m good with day trips.

Reactions: Big Jim Slade
I’m in the ventura/santa barbara / Thousand Oaks area, is there anywhere within a couple hours you guys know of that I could take kids rabbit hunting? I’m good with day trips.

All my favorite rabbit spots have houses on them now. The high desert is still a good option, but they are very spread out. Dawn and dusk is the best times, and jack rabbits are an option too.

Ventura, Santa Barbara, Thousand Oaks is a huge area. Not really familiar with the hunting possibilities in those areas. A lot of private land, not much huntable public land.
The high desert is full of rabbits. Check BLM maps/OnX app.

This guy was taken this morning 5 minutes from my house.20210109_092056.jpg

You should try Carrizo Plains, its been bad for quail for many years but it should be decent for rabbits. Nice hikes with a long eye, so you can separate but still see each other while hunting.

Reactions: Big Jim Slade

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu