High fence opinion

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
So I'm going to Texas this thanksgiving and am deer hunting on a high fence property that's only around 300 acres. The only reason I'm going is because it's a free hunt from my uncles buddy. It's bow only so that might make it kinda hard but not really what's y'all's opinion on high fence hunting? I hunt only free range public land never hunted private or high fence obviously before so I'm kind nervous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do it man! It's free and it's an experience... won't be any negative reflection on you. Post up pics, whether successful or not.

I agree. It's free. It's still good meat in the frezzer and the experience even if fenced is always good. It's not the hunt of a lifetime you will tell family your whole life but still. Lots of people do it and lots wish they could afford it.

If you can get knowledge, food, fun, or anything of value from it, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Last thanksgiving I went to a farm and 'processed' my own turkey. There was no sport to it at all, grab a turkey, cut off his head, and rip his guts out. But I learned how to process a bird and I brought it home for dinner.

Yours will be a bit sportier though. Maybe kind of like fishing for stocked trout.

My first pig hunt was like shooting fish in a barrel. I didn't realize when I paid; thought it was a guided hunt. Much prefer hunting w Neil because I learn so much from him and his team, which makes me a better hunter. But it was still meat in the freezer, and with stick and string you'll have a little handicap on 300 acres. Have fun!

Sent via Tapatalk

Think of it as a great opportunity........The draw & kill will better prepare you for when the moment of truth presents itself again as your hunting career continues.......There's no substitution for experience........:)

The fact that you are asking for opinions leads me to believe you have your own questions about it.

I say go for it. Then come up with your own opinions on it. Either way, have fun.

My first hunt was at Rahauges in Corona. Paid $100 each And they planted 6 birds for mea and a friend.

I got my three birds, cleaned and feathered them myself and got some experience. Hardly the mighty hunter I aspire to be, but it was a good experience. So I say go for it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not gonna pass up an opportunity to hunt. Like breacher says I have my own questions about it. It's a hunt over feeders so it's going to be easy and I'm worried if it'll be too easy and spoil me for deer hunting here and make me less motivated hunting here considering I've never hunted big game outside San Diego county and it takes a lotta work. I don't like to be that guy that has everything handed to him in hunting I like to work hard and put in the time necessary to be successful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go for it D16, you still have to draw and make that shot ;) Have a blast don't over think it. Being a So Cal hunter you've all ready paid your dues and you have nothing to prove. Enjoy life and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.GOOD LUCK!!!

I had a chance to hunt a 9,000 acre fenced hunt in Texas in 06. Believe me the deer were wild. Constantly on alert, twitch with every sound, if they smelled anything wrong (to them) they were gone. One of the best hunts I have been on. Take advantage of the opportunity you have and enjoy it. Good luck.

You asked for our thoughts, so here is mine: I have a problem with guys paying thousands of dollars to shoot a 200" plus deer, have a guide take them out to where they have the buck "tied up" to shoot him, then brag about how good of a hunter they are.

Gteam expressed my first thought when I read your post. You are a hardcore hunter that has put in a lot of work and time in SD. A free hunt on a 300 acre property especially in Texas is a great opportunity for you. Go for it and good luck. I hope you get a 200" whitetail and can't wait to hear the story!

????

Go and have fun not every hunt is going to be a ball buster and hunting in TX can be very hard even over a feeder

It sounds like a great opportunity to film a deer hunt. And like the guys said, there is great experience and confidence to be gained every time you take a deer with your bow.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu