High Power Bino's for hunting

Should I? See my explanation below before voting.

• Switch to a larger spotter?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Let's say hypothetically speaking there were a high end manufacturer that made a 20X70 (I actually cant find any but roughly the same exit pupil as 15x56). Would you take that over the 15x56? I guess what i'm getting at, is 15x that much more than 10x? I have no basis for comparison.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have commend everyone , Drewski, Lungpopper, Truduct, Klxracer, NBK,
Everyone excuse me if I miss someone.
It really is a good topic. Excellent post by everyone. Our opinions and philosophy may be different. But hay that is what makes it actually positive. It really makes the brain think. How can we do it better.
Who knows the future. Wars have been won and lost because one had better technology. But remember not to lose that Lost art of old fashion techniques. If I sounded as a possible pompous ass that's Ok.
Engineers are that way. We normally
Want data or facts. That's the way we are, especially when lives are at stake. Measure 3 times cut once.
I myself have to step back and listen what folk are saying works for them.
As a retired engineer that has made me a better person and engineer.
Listening more and talk less.
Listen to actual people's real life experience.
Thank you all.
Longbow

Absolutely agree. Thank you everyone for your help on this subject.

Let's say hypothetically speaking there were a high end manufacturer that made a 20X70 (I actually cant find any but roughly the same exit pupil as 15x56). Would you take that over the 15x56? I guess what i'm getting at, is 15x that much more than 10x? I have no basis for comparison.
It is not an simple explanation
Yes it can make difference.
Multiplication of the view.
And the guys like it on this board.
Best if you can borrow a binoculars.
And test it yourself.
Best
Longbow
Edit: just to add, the with the same quality of glass and a larger obtics
Will view clearer. But the cost will also increase.

Last edited:
This is a highly personal choice, but I’ll give you my opinion. There is always going to be some hill that you can’t glass effectively, even with a spotter.... that said, for glassing within your effective hunting range, 15 power binos will definitely help and I think there is an argument for owning 10’s, 15’s and a spotter. I run all my glass off a tripod with a panhead and am a pretty strong believer in that system.

I haven’t tried everything, but I have to say, I think the 15x56 Swarovski’s are the finest piece of glass to spend a day looking through. They really are a pleasure to glass with and I haven’t ever thought twice about the purchase. I also have a Kowa 25-60 spotter that I love, but I really only use that to determine legality, to better evaluate an animal that I am considering stalking, or to pick apart patches of shade. The vast majority of my day is spent behind my 10’s and 15’s though. In my opinion spotters are not very pleasant to glass through.

As far as weight goes.... again, a highly personal decision. How much is too much for you? Depending on location, when I hunt alone I usually will leave the spotter at home. But when I pack out a deer I do it in one trip and an extra 3.5 pounds does make a difference. Also in San Diego I’m not over-analyzing rack size. The 15’s will at the very least give me an idea of the deer’s frame and I can make a decision based on that. If you are counting inches on a big buck in Idaho that spotter might make all the difference. But if that’s the case I would argue that you need a bigger spotter anyway, but it all depends on the distance.

If it isn’t clear already my 15’s are my favorite glass to use if any distance is involved. As for your question about 20x70.... the issue with that is that much of the weight from glassing equipment comes from the objective lense (the big one that faces the animal), so having two 70 mm objectives makes a binocular that night weigh 5 or 6 pounds. You are basically asking about Kowa big eyes, which you can buy.

This is a highly personal choice, but I’ll give you my opinion. There is always going to be some hill that you can’t glass effectively, even with a spotter.... that said, for glassing within your effective hunting range, 15 power binos will definitely help and I think there is an argument for owning 10’s, 15’s and a spotter. I run all my glass off a tripod with a panhead and am a pretty strong believer in that system.

I haven’t tried everything, but I have to say, I think the 15x56 Swarovski’s are the finest piece of glass to spend a day looking through. They really are a pleasure to glass with and I haven’t ever thought twice about the purchase. I also have a Kowa 25-60 spotter that I love, but I really only use that to determine legality, to better evaluate an animal that I am considering stalking, or to pick apart patches of shade. The vast majority of my day is spent behind my 10’s and 15’s though. In my opinion spotters are not very pleasant to glass through.

As far as weight goes.... again, a highly personal decision. How much is too much for you? Depending on location, when I hunt alone I usually will leave the spotter at home. But when I pack out a deer I do it in one trip and an extra 3.5 pounds does make a difference. Also in San Diego I’m not over-analyzing rack size. The 15’s will at the very least give me an idea of the deer’s frame and I can make a decision based on that. If you are counting inches on a big buck in Idaho that spotter might make all the difference. But if that’s the case I would argue that you need a bigger spotter anyway, but it all depends on the distance.

If it isn’t clear already my 15’s are my favorite glass to use if any distance is involved. As for your question about 20x70.... the issue with that is that much of the weight from glassing equipment comes from the objective lense (the big one that faces the animal), so having two 70 mm objectives makes a binocular that night weigh 5 or 6 pounds. You are basically asking about Kowa big eyes, which you can buy.
Dam good write up Kellendv

Reactions: Kellendv

Agreed, 70 mm lenses are heavy.
( 2.75 in diameter). I try to carry light as possible because of my age.
I tried all sort of light small binos.
And they suck. Can't see sh_t.
I like my 10x 42, when I was young I started out 10x50 bigger field of view which was awesome but got tired of the weight and the clunky feeling on my chest. Really need to invest in a good harness. I think now after suffering all this year's I should
Of done it while I had the pocket book.
Best
Longbow

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu