High Sierras - Rawson Ponds

SoCalCuda

Oct 2, 2018
Ok, so I fished a dozen or so High Sierra lakes and caught two small rainbows. I tried everything and no luck. But then..... Rawson ponds out of Bishop produced. After a couple days of fishing we caught dozens of large mouth bass and bluegill. This place never fails to produce for me.

One of many tricks fishing for little browns and rainbows. Is super lite line. 2 lb. Tiny hooks and worms.
On a floater bobber. Sometimes no bobber. These little guys are delicious. Love the Eastern Sierra's.

Reactions: SoCalCuda
Yea... I was up there the day the storms hit. Fishing was expected to be awesome and then stopped. A few people I talked to caught fish in the stream or small jigs or insect flies, but all in all slow. And CDFW planted thousands of 3-5 pounders in almost all the lakes 3 days before I got there. Literally every lake had monsters swimming in front of us everyday. So frustrating. When people did catch it was quality, not quantity. All day = 1 fish 18”+. Just not me. However, caught a few small rainbows and Rawson Ponds definitely closed the trip with smiles.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yes the stocked trout like standard floating cheese bait. Slider weight
4 lb leader. Small treble hook.
Rainbow sparkled cheese. Green and yellow. Toss out, keep bail open.
Let them run for a few seconds then
Close bail and hook.
Problem later in the season water warms up. Have to go deep.
Early in the season water is cool.
Closer to the banks. Wife and I go early every year.

Reactions: SoCalCuda

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu