Hiking around, spotted these two driving out

Glad those pair are still around. I tell you what, that area has so many does. I wish the club would allow archers to take a certain number of mature does out of those area on vid.

Reactions: Bonejour
I don't know how archery works, but the A22 tag lets you take either sex? Does MCC let you get a doe with that tag? Funny, you mention the does.....I see them and a lot of spikes, but no real decent bucks. Of course, I haven't covered a lot of ground yet, but still....

David,

MCC does NOT allow does (& the state doesn't allow spikes)......You're just not going to see many bigger bucks now......Once they're done rutting, it's back to their secret haunts.

Reactions: Bonejour
David,

MCC does NOT allow does (& the state doesn't allow spikes)......You're just not going to see many bigger bucks now......Once they're done rutting, it's back to their secret haunts.
Steve the regs allows a spike under 3 inches , , I need to check the regs for exact length.

edited
see this link
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#351

o forgot to mention archery only, accidents do happen it looks like a doe but in fact it may be a spike. ears cover up the antler. it happens. I would never shoot a little spike but mistakes happen.

AKA Ghost

§351. Forked-Horn Buck, Antlerless and Either-Sex Deer Defined.
  • (a) Forked-Horn Buck Defined. For the purpose of these regulations a forked-horn buck is defined as a male deer having a branched antler on either side with the branch in the upper two-thirds of the antler. Eyeguards or other bony projections on the lower one-third of the antler shall not be considered as points or branches.
  • (b) Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length.
  • (c) Either-Sex Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, either-sex deer are defined as antlerless deer as described in Section 351 (b), or legal bucks that have two or more points in the upper two-thirds of either antler. Spike bucks may not be taken.

MCC only allows for taking what is legal for antlered deer with archery. So forked-horn or better. .....2x3 or bigger with a rifle......Please don't shoot yearling deer off MCC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mendenhall's (MCC owners) philosophy about shooting does is pretty simple......They have as many deer/bucks as anywhere in the county.....So why change anything.

They have a similar philosophy about turkeys.......No fall hunting.......I wish they'd be a little more restrictive about shooting jakes though (like no more than 1 per membership per season).

Reactions: Matagi
The 3 inch spike was a definition of antlerless deer. Not legal take.
Tony
i believe if it's allowed ,

(20) A-22 (San Diego Archery Either-Sex Deer Hunt).
  • (A) Area: That portion of San Diego County within Zone D-16 (see subsection 360(a)(15)(A)).
  • (B) Season: The season for hunt A-22 (San Diego Archery Either-Sex Deer Hunt) shall open on the first Saturday in September and extend for 44 consecutive days, and reopen on the third Saturday in November and extend through December 31.
  • (C) Bag and Possession Limit: One either-sex deer (see subsection 351(c)) per tag.
  • (D) Number of Tags: 1,000.

• (c) Either-Sex Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, either-sex deer are defined as antlerless deer as described in Section 351 (b), or legal bucks that have two or more points in the upper two-thirds of either antler. Spike bucks may not be taken.

(b) Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length.

Now let me say I would never do it, but if you bow hunt and you want a meat deer , and think you are shooting a doe , turns out it's a spike buck less than 3 inches , your not in trouble. it's allowed.
now all that said I don't condone shooting any spike period.
what's confusing it say's spike bucks are not allowed, but then it say's a an anterless deer defined ,

quote "antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length."

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu