Hodgdon Super Performance powder

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
Has anyone used the super performance powder on any loads. HODGDON is limited on they're loads . I'm.working on a load for my 7mm-08. I'm using a 162gr sst with 47gr Powder & a crimp. I broke my chronograph this morning so I'm not sure of the velocity, it should be around 2700fps and it patterned at .573in 3 shot group. Any thought?

This might be a really dumb question...... but...... I can't seem to find the weight per grain of the superformance powder does anyone know how much it weighs per grain? I could also be asking this question the wrong way?

I just don't know how much one grain of superformance weighs?

1 grain =0.000142857143 pounds

That's the smart ass answer.

Why do you want to know how much a grain(particle size) of the powder weights?

Powder is loaded by the grain(unit of measure) not by the number of particles.

I haven't been able to buy an electric powder measure yet so I use a scale to measure ......... every powder has a different weight per grain and in order to dial the appropriate amount of powder on my powder holder i need to do a calculation!! its a lee powder dispenser ???

Show us a photo of what you are using to dispense powder please.

There is no reason to know the weight of a individual grain(particle size) of powder. Once again powder is served by the grain (unit of measure) not by the grain (particles)

I'm sure the Lee powder drop is the same as all the others. So here is how you go about setting up a run

Fill the powder in the dispenser, with a even smooth stoke work the handle up and down. Weigh the charge on your manual beam scale. If it's a powder scale it's graduated in grains. Adjust your powder drop till it's at your desired charge weight in grains(unit of measure)

A repeatable motion on the powder drop will help reproduce accurate powder dispensing. Some powders come out smooth like benchmark. Some powders get caught in the drop like 4859. If it hangs up just dump it back in and Redrop the powder.

As you load the powder keep checking the weight of the drops in the manual scale. Do this often till you learn your drop and how accurate it is.

Ok understand now?

Side note.... I use a manual scale all the time. If I'm loading for precision I'll weight every charge. For coyotes I'll weight every 5 drop, for Buckhunter Jim and his 204 I never weight anything :)

And if you are weighing powder on a scale not made for powder you need to stop and get one

This is the reloading set i been using to load .223/.308/6.5 creedmoor and have not had an issue loading any of these because all powders i use such as H4350/ BLC2/ W760 H414 all have weighs listed per grain!!!! the powder distributor system is obviously cheap so in order to dial the proper charge distribution you have to use there formula which gives you a number such as EX: 3.34 and you dial 3.34 on the lever part of the powder distributor

My problem was there is no given weight per grain on superformance that i could find so i am not able to use the formal and figure out where to dial the lever..... as i make adjustments i measure the charge weights on the scale given

I know this is a very cheap and not as precise as an RCSB automated powder scale and distributor but its what i have for right now

Attachments

• 90050.jpg
    90050.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 16
Grain is a measument of weight. The scale you have in that kit measure's weights in grain. You dont need anytype of formula to measure out the powder weight. Now the powder drop that comes in that kit has they're style of a micro meter that will only allow "X" amount of powder to drop. Then all you have to do is weight that charge on your scale to see how far off you are from you desired powder charge in grains.

You wont be able to find any reloading Data for the Super Performance to load .223/.308/6.5 Creedmoor. You'll have to experiment with charge weight's.

Some simple math can figur out the vmd. Take the cc setting on the powder drop, devide it by the weight of the charge at that setting =vmd

While fine for getting the powder drop close its worthless in real life. You still have to dial in the drop with your beam scale. Never ever trust numbers on your powder drop. Adjust your drop by weighting the powder on the scale. Might take 5 drops or so to get it nuts on. Remember load to perfection, it's not hard and the Lee gear will do it. Just take your time

Just trust me, you will never ever need to know the weight of one grain(particle) of powder!!!!!!!!!

The formula that Lee provides allows you to gain an ideal starting point on the measure dial so rather then starting at 1 on the dial and weighing every charge then going to 2 then 2.50 then 2.52 then 2.54 and so on the formula allows you to see where the ideal charge weight should be dialed to then its up to you to fine tune it with in a couple thousands of a measurement......Ii understand how to work my way to the proper weight but I rather have a starting point in the ball park range so I'm not sitting and measure every charge from 1.00-9.99 thats kind of monotonous but thanks for all the help and info my question has been answered

I would love to walk into Walmart and get a box of 6.5 creedmoor...... or any gun store at that but I have only found one place in san diego county that caries it...... but this was a factor I understood when buying a creedmoor, sort of like any wildcat or new caliber theres just not a profitable demand for firearms stores to cary creed moor yet.

but I reload so its not a big deal

Thanks agin

Fine Firearms carries 6.5mm Creedmoor on the shelf.

It only takes a second to dial the powder drop in with a scale. I have never tried using the graduated adjustment on the powder drop. Then again, I rarely even us the powder drop. And never with a hunting rifle or round.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu