How are you guys seeing so many deer?...!!!!

ultimatedude

Aug 9, 2012
Burbank
just wondering how some of you see so many deer...i have hunted hard the past 5 weeks in D11 and finally just saw a few doe today, the last day of the season...sorta frustrating...reading some of the stories of others seeing multiple bucks each day and i am just scratching my head trying to figure out what i am not doing right...

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Rifle hunting........Good binoculars, and use them is the key to finding deer in big country like D11. Most guys just hike and look 100 yards ahead. Get up high, sit down and glass. Most of your time after the sun comes up should be spent glassing. If your eyes get tired, you didn't spend enough on the binoculars. I can't stress the quality bino's enough.

BuckHunter said:
Rifle hunting........Good binoculars, and use them is the key to finding deer in big country like D11. Most guys just hike and look 100 yards ahead. Get up high, sit down and glass. Most of your time after the sun comes up should be spent glassing. If your eyes get tired, you didn't spend enough on the binoculars. I can't stress the quality bino's enough.

Great advice

Lungpopper said:
BuckHunter said:

Great advice

I second LP's comment: great advice Buckhunter... thanks for posting! My eyes are bloodshot today... You just explained why. I think my binocs are good (Leupolds) but I was looking through them for about a total of 10-12 hours this weekend (actual time spent glassing). I didn't see any deer, but I think I may still need to adjust the scale of what I'm looking for, and where I'm looking. I feel like with posts like this and the advice I have gotten from Breacher, LP, NBK and others, it's just a matter of time before BAM-bi sleeps. 8)

No more sound advice can be given as to what has already been spoken.

Srfnkill and I were hunting X9C this year and I shit you not, he fell asleep while glassing. I was getting tired too and heard him breathing a little weird. I look over and his forehead is leaning against his binnos and he is out! Funny as all get out but it is what we do to find these deer.

Hopefully these pics will help you guys understand that when your glassing your not looking for a whole deer. You need to be looking for parts of deer. A lot of the time you want to be glassing into the bushes where you will only see parts of a deer. Look for something that doesn't belong or an off color, or maybe you'll catch it just right and get some movement.IMG_0935.JPGIMG_0936.JPGIMG_0937.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
mulebook.jpg All good advice.

If you have the time - pick up this book up about Mule Deer Hunting. It is the best I have read and goes into detail regarding biology, habits, survival and techniques. It will help make you understand what you are doing right and what you may be doing wrong.

You have 90% of the battle already conquered...you are getting out there. Now start trimming the variables.

Excellent post Lungpopper. This is where many miss the boat. All explained in the book!

Last edited:
Excellent information! That is exactly what I've been looking for while glassing. I just haven't spotted them yet. :(

It is good to know that a book like that exists too. Thanks! :) I placed an order for one and will read it over and over again to extract the information I need from it to be a better mule deer hunter next year (though I'm not just done yet this year :) ). Still two more weeks to go for rifle! :)

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu