How big is a wolf ????

BuckHunter

“Venison” It’s what’s for dinner!
Feb 3, 2011
A coyote can kill a deer so this picture will help put the wolf problem into perspective.

Attachments

• wolf.jpg
    wolf.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 72
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Holy Smokes!!!!!!!! That is a huge difference! I had no idea wolf's were that big. I thought they were the same size as coyotes. Thanks for sharing :) :)

Looks like someone has had there way with photoshop again... ???

I hope that is photoshopped, that thing is huge compare to the yote. Looks more like the nothing from 'Never Ending Story'. I always thought they were closer to a German Sheppard size.

NBK said:
Looks like someone has had there way with photoshop again... ???

Maybe........ I just found this looking around and don't know if its been Mickey Moused.

This should answer your question...

Dimensions

The gray wolf is the largest extant member of the Canidae, excepting certain large breeds of domestic dog. Gray wolf weight and size can vary greatly worldwide, tending to increase proportionally with latitude as predicted by Bergmann's Rule, with the large wolves of Alaska and Canada sometimes weighing 3–6 times more than their Middle Eastern and South Asian cousins. On average, adult wolves measure 105–160 cm (41–63 in) in length and 80–85 cm (32–34 in) in shoulder height. The tail is ⅔ the length of the head and body, measuring 29–50 cm (11–20 in) in length. The ears are 90–110 millimeters (3.5–4.3 in) in height, and the ind feet are 220–250 mm. The skull averages 9–11 inches in length, and 5-6 inches wide. Wolf weight varies geographically; on average, European wolves may weigh 38.5 kilograms (85 lb), North American wolves 36 kilograms (79 lb) and Indian and Arabian wolves 25 kilograms (55 lb). Females in any given wolf population typically weigh 5–10 lbs less than males.

Wolves weighing over 54 kg (120 lbs) are uncommon, though exceptionally large individuals have been recorded in Alaska, Canada, and the former Soviet Union. The heaviest recorded gray wolf in North America was killed on 70 Mile River in east-central Alaska on July 12, 1939 and weighed 79.4 kilograms (175 lb), while the heaviest recorded wolf in Eurasia was killed after World War II in Kobeliaky, Poltavskij Region, Ukrainian SSR, and weighed 86 kilograms (190 lb).

Good info Sporty. I'm guessing a coyote is about 30 -45 lb.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu