How do people like to hunt deer in southern California?

Climb1983

Sep 21, 2013
Escondido, CA
Personally I prefer to do alot of scouting and use either a treestand or ground blind at higher elevations where the deer density is a bit higher.

My question is, how many people prefer stand hunting vs spot-and-stalk or still hunting around this area?

I like to glass.

Also I put up a good tread on how to be successful awhile ago.

Im not much of a riffle hunter. I have access to decent private land so I like to scout with trail cams and bow hunt from a tree stand. But I did take my riffle out on the opener and never got the opportunity take a deer with it. At the end of the day I was glad I didn't waste my tag on it.

Glassing, making a plan, executing a stock and then dropping the hammer. It all has to come together and when it does it is very satisfying.

Bow. Treestand. Passing and then kicking myself.

Glassing working up a plan and stalking in worked last season for a few bucks. Helps if you have a partner to guide you in ;)

Sdbirds said:
I like to glass.

Also I put up a good tread on how to be successful awhile ago.
SD Birds deer hunting tips for success……. best advice i have ever read for socal deer hunting…. will bring those tactics to washington with me this coming season

Being in the right place at the right time usually works for me. Haha. I like spot and stock with rifle, and I've never had the opportunity to release my arrow at a buck yet. Hopefully this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

San Diego mule deer hunting? Hike out, sit down, glass, relax..... (pause for a real long time, nap, contemplate on life, check wind, watch out for ants and ticks).... spot, stalk... and... crap, out of water. lol! J/k. It is a lot different than hunting white tail in West Virginia (where they are like rabbits).

mancalledhorse said:
San Diego mule deer hunting? Hike out, sit down, glass, relax..... (pause for a real long time, nap, contemplate on life, check wind, watch out for ants and ticks).... spot, stalk... and... crap, out of water. lol! J/k. It is a lot different than hunting white tail in West Virginia (where they are like rabbits).
Man, that's the truth! I still "hunt" white tail in VA with my brothers. Hunting the grey ghost out here is entirely something else!
Fun though, if you like to walk and climb ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

I'm fortunate nowadays to be able to hunt really good private property, but I was raised hunting deer in the Eastern Sierra's.......Totally different style in that country for the most part (all public).......There are a number of places that are similar in San Diego Co. though. In those bigger more wide open areas IMO it's all about glassing. Many times, it's not that day that you'll get on them......A lot of bucks in this county are home bodies (similar to white-tails). So hunting the same area and getting to know it can be the difference.......Like fishing, you've got to fish where the fish are.

In SD as your aware, we've had a lot of fires.......That creates edges (although, there's a lot less now).......Find areas that have those edges and watch them. Obviously, scouting is the key to finding good feeding & bedding spots.......During the rut (which we're lucky to be hunting), is a whole other ball game......If you've done your homework and found does. Then those areas will produce bucks later on......I shot public land bucks on back to back years looking down on one of the most popular roads in the back country.......It had a great edge, deer sign, and deer trail in & out of the thick stuff. The proximity to the road had no baring on these deer......Bucks were not seen until the afternoon I got them.......2 cents

Good advice ILS. It has been said so many times on this forum... "Get up high and glass". And your point about finding edges is a great one.

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu