How Do You?

invisible man

Walk The Line
Oct 7, 2011
About 20 feet up
What are you yote hunters using for calls? Electronic, mouth, night gear? Whats your best time to whackem? And what should I pay and where is the best place to get my gear for yotes? I search the net and there is way to much to choose from. It seems like there is a thousand companies out there selling the same thing. Is there one or two that stand out in the field? Thanks for your expert opinions.

foxpro makes great stuff......

Mouth calls are pretty much all the same imho. Cotton tail distress and a howler will get you by. A mouse squeaker can be handy in closer quarters.

The big up side to the E call is that the animals come to the call and not you... you can setup in much the same way you would call elk with another person. Pulling the dog so you can get a clear shot, freeze him with any noise and whack!

wait a week and i will be doing a post on how to build your own electronic call :)

I seem to kill most of them when i go out! I know that sounds lame but its true. Go out and hunt and if that is 10 am so be it. If its first or last light good too. The dogs get more active at last light and wind down at first light but that does not mean they will not feed at noon. I KILL A LOT of dogs at mid day......

Aeon said:
Mouth calls are pretty much all the same imho. Cotton tail distress and a howler will get you by. A mouse squeaker can be handy in closer quarters.

Agreed. There's the higher pitched cottontail distress or lower pitched jackrabbit distress, and no matter the brand, they sound almost exactly the same. I believe this is because they're all using the same (or similar) inserts, in differing bodies. There is some difference in the howlers, but when it comes right down to it, a howler is a howler is a howler. I personally prefer the Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler or Sweetwater howler. Not because coyotes come running to it (they haven't), but because they sound better to me. ;) They are very loud though (I even wear ear protection), and the dogs will answer back quite often.

I use mouth and ecalls. I use them sometimes together and then other times I will only use my ecaller. I use a FoxPro and have to years now. Mouth calls I use a few custom calls open and closed reed calls. Mainly distress calls. Many people enjoy and have had success with howler or other coyote mouth calls but I use then really only to just communicate back and forth. I have never brought in a dog with a coyote sound.

Any time of day you can call in a dog but I would say early morning is when they are the most active. It is cool and the small game is out which is what they are hunting for. I usually start my stands in the morning at first light and move from stand to stand until about lunch time.

Remember a coyote is a Dog so they can get lazy and when it gets hot they lay down and get out of the heat.

Also animals have insane hearing so when I start off i usually start off quieter. This way I don't scare the animals away if they are near by. If it is windy I might run my calls a little loader then when it isn't blowing.

I will run with a decoy on some calls and I will put my ecall right next to it. All of my dogs have been shot at 15 ft to 40 yards. The only coyote I have shot over a 100 yards is at my house. I call them into your feet and I hit every one on the run. I don't and haven't ever used a tripod just because of this. You must be able to swing with the dog coming in. Keep your head on a swivel and don't think they will come to one place. I think this is the hardest thing I try to teach people. Coyotes are unpredictable and when you think they are going to come from one place they come from another.

I enjoy hunting with 2 people 3 at max. Keep yourself very alert and don't move at all. Keep your gun up and ready to shot. End of this month my coyote season will open again until March.

O ya when it comes to clothing I use my ASAT. I wear my BDU pants and my leafy top. It is cool and gives great breakup. For San Diego or southern cal you can also use the Military Digital Desert

I'm a fan of the e-callers as well. I owned a cheaper brand for years, never had much luck with it, and finally decided to move into the big leagues and buy a FoxPro. Life changing decision as far as coyote hunting goes.

I went with the Wild Fire II from FoxPro. It's not the top of the line model but something I felt was adequate enough for my usage and hunting style. I'm glad I went with it.

I also got if from allpredatorcalls.com. They're a site catered to hunting predators (obviously) and are super helpful. Plus, their shipping speed is a little quicker due to them being based out of Utah. And they have IT ALL...

Good luck!

wheels said:
Yes this is true but every Predator club in the state stops hunting coyotes to allow for pupping time.

I ask this in all sincerity, but why give them a break? The coyotes don't give the deer a break during the spring when fawns are born. If anything it seems like it would be a perfect time to help boost fawn survival.

I agree with breacher on this one. Im thinking that if your in a club your more into sport varminting and not so much management hunting. Where I hunt I don.t want to see or hear one yote. If im giving anything a chance to grow its deer and turkeys and the cows. Ive seen first hand what a group of yotes can do when they team hunt. It aint cool.

You got it. Clubs do it for the sport. In Arizona you will be removed for membership if you hunt during denning time. If it is for depredation it is done year around. My personal feeling is that when animals are dropping their young I want them to grow so I can continue to hunt them. I choose not to hunt during this time. Know I just shot one that went after my goats and that was depredation.

Many have their own feelings about this and I understand it completely.

As we talk the Wildlife Resources Committee just meet this week in Oakland and on the agenda Discussion of request to reform predator management policies/regulations.

LoL@camo for coyotes :)

Btw I'm hunting right now.....stand by

Epic fail........

Had a big group sound off after it got dark. Pesky critters!!###

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu