How to temporarily store meat

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
i may be taking the family to no cal in April. I have a friend that may know where to get pigs AND I will have access to private property that has turkeys. Question is, if I'm on a week long vacation, staying in hotels, is there any recommendations for how to best store my meat until I get home, besides just keeping it in a good ice chest?

It will keep fine in a cooler on ice. Keep the ice box in the shade and try to keep the meat as dry as you can. Make sure that when you are butchering the meat you remove all bloodshot or damaged meat, because it spoils more quickly. Get it as clean as you can before putting it on ice. Hope that helps. There is an old thread around here with some great thoughts. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the keys to keeping quail, pheasant, chukar, & turkeys is gutting them as soon as you can.....Also, I would make sure that your turkey is IDable (word?.....lol).....Remember, your turkey must have a visible beard in the spring.....After that, keeping them on ice in a bag, they should be fine.

ps.....When I'm out of state with turkeys, I actually fillet the meat off the bone & keep the back legs with spurs attached....I keep the rest of the cape, beard, & head intact till I get home.

Reactions: Bonejour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu