how would you polish this?

mangycoyote

Feb 7, 2013
So I picked up a hornady reloading set at a bargain. There was rust on the press ram and the powder dispenser. I was able to get all the rust off the press. I've been putting off working on this dispenser. I'm afraid to spray it down with lubricant. Will this have an affect with powder if there is residual oil? Just not sure. Graphite maybe? Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMAG0454.jpg
    IMAG0454.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 19
get yourself a pack of the scotchbrite pads, disassemble the dispenser and work it over pretty good with that (meaning buff it real good) to get all of the surface rust off of it, make sure you get all of the raised buildup off the mated surfaces good and clean, reassemble and use. If you have access to a wire wheel on a bench grinder you can clean up the threads on the dispenser nozzle real good, and other parts as well. Just don't use too much pressure.

I took my No. 55 Lyman Powder dispenser and took it apart. Through the pieces into the brass tumbler and WHAM like new. Give it a try.

NBK said:
I took my No. 55 Lyman Powder dispenser and took it apart. Through the pieces into the brass tumbler and WHAM like new. Give it a try.

Thats how I would do it!

Do you use just the crushed walnut?
Here's what it looks like with steel wool and scotchbrite. I used small amount of oil. I used some one shot on the inside.

Attachments

• IMAG0460.jpg
    IMAG0460.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0461.jpg
    IMAG0461.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 22
Any of your favorite media will work. Looks to me like you don't need it. That powder drop looks brand new.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu