Howlers...to use, or not to use?

Sep 26, 2012
Last week, I think I confirmed something which I've suspected for a while now. That is, that coyotes in SD County don't like howler calls. I've watched video after video of coyotes (and even bobcats) come running in to howls, barks, and yelps/squeals, etc. So I bought one and started doing those same things. It's awesome when they answer back, but what I found was that when they answered back, they never came in!

Late last week, I went out to do some calling in an area adjacent to (I mean, right next to) a popular shooting area to try some calling. On advice from some varmint pros, I decided to stay in one place for 40 minutes or longer, as opposed to my typical 15-20 minute (max) stand. After 40 minutes of calling with squeaks, cottontail distress, and jackrabbit distress (all mouth calls), I decided to try the howler. I had avoided it up to that point due to my suspicions about it driving animals away instead of drawing them in. I removed the horn from it, so that I would get the highest-pitched tone possible, with the intent that I wouldn't sound like a grizzled old fighter looking for a scuffle. I made the most pup-like locator howl I could muster (it's been a while, and I was rusty, so it was pretty pathetic). I heard some house dogs answer in the distance. I followed up with some more pup barks and locator howls. I looked to my left, and a coyote was standing there at about 200 yards, shaking itself as if it just stood up from a long nap. I challenged with a pup challenge, and he just trotted off, seemingly wanting nothing to do with the young whippersnapper who was goading him.

At this point, I guess this is all still anecdotal, but I'm leaning more and more away from using the howler, except in desperation, or as a pre-dawn locator to find them, with the intent to return after sunrise for the actual hunt.

So what about you guys? Do you use howl calls? How has it worked for you?

On another note, I went out Saturday afternoon and was able to coax a single in (cottontail/jackrabbit distress), but he ran out of sight at the shot, so I don't know if I hit him or not. No howler was used.

I personally have never called a coyote into with one. I have used then many times to locate or play with the coyote when they are hung up but really that is all I have done.

All of my dogs have come in with distress calls. This is what my bread and butter is. I have shot many coyotes over the years with distress. I do use a Kiyi after shooting the coyote which does help continue the second or third coyotes in after the shot has happened.

Some people have had a lot of success with howls. They can be useful now because there are new puppies on the ground. Also they are used during time of matting.

If you are new to hunting I would recommend sticking with distress calls just because they are by far the most used tool to bring in a predator in my opinion.

i use them during the spring quite a bit, Nothing motivates more than a girl saying come get me. They are also handy to make dogs do exactly what you had happen. 200 yards getting up from a nap should lead to another nap :)

Wheels is right on! Use howlers to locate coyotes. Once you find them, use the distress calls to bring them in. After a shot, or after a string of calls before you leave the area, use a pup distress (ki-yi) call, especially right after pupping season. The only howler call I know of where coyotes will actually come in is the challenge bark where they feel a new coyote is invading their territory. Use howlers to locate coyotes and distress calls to bring them in.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu