Hunter recommendations

White Smoke

Black powder rules!
May 2, 2011
Encinitas, CA
Here's a quick post for anyone thinking about a hog hunt in the Southern California area. In November, 2010, I went up to San Miguel (near Paso Robles) for a pig hunt with Bert Claassen. He charges $400 for a three-day hunt plus $200 if you kill a hog. You arrive on Day 1, check into his two-bedroom cabin and hunt that evening. The second day has a morning hunt and an evening hunt and the last day has a morning hunt before you leave around noon. He requires a minimum of two hunters to book a hunt. There was a lot of sign but we didn't find an overabundance of hogs when I was there. I did kill a 250# boar with a muzzleloader on Day 3. Bert took care of all the skinning, cutting and quartering and storage in a walk-in cooler until we were ready to leave. He did a great job and really busted his butt for us. I would highly recommend him to anyone wanting a hog hunt. His website is http://www.pig-hunt.com/

He is an awesome guy with 35 years of guiding experience...and he is honest!

Bert has since moved on and is not currently guiding. He has also sold his website noted above.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu