Hunting Blythe

Bulldog#52

Aug 26, 2019
Well it was a great opener except for the 115 degrees. Plenty of birds, open fields and good friends. Sunday morning we hit an area with not a hole lot of shooting. Got hot so went for breakfast and to cool down. Went back out not far from where we were and just slayed them. Sunday night had a little rain and lots of lightning. Got out same spot Monday morning and guess the birds said adios, we have had enough of you guys. That's hunting but with good friends, that's all that counts. PS, the hotel pool was like a hot bath, had to be 100 degree water.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Oh man. Those kinda temps are Brutal! Had to hikeout this one time where it got up to 116F. Was all wondering what was wrong with me. Kept bashing on myself for feeling out of it, figured from being out of shape. But then when got to the car and key in the ignition and saw that 116F... didn't feel so bad anymore, realized it was just that dang hot!

Bet that pool felt dang good though.

We also stayed in blight at the Emerald lodge but, hunted in AZ. All the birds were located in one stretch of river road about 1.5 miles long. Other than that it was real spotty. We have been hunting the same spot for at least 10 years virtually by ourselves but due to the concentration of dove in that one small area, we were by no means by ourselves this year. Fortunately everyone was well behaved so there were no issues. We all got our limits by 8:30. Would have been done faster but, after we got our ten white wings we had to be more selective. I would say 90% of the birds in our area were white wing. We did talk to the warden and she told us there were good numbers south of us by the bridge by Cibola. But we never had the need to hunt there. Limits for all ten guys. Some of us are doing again next Tues. foe a combo dove rabbit hunt. The heat was bad but the humidity was a killer. Temps. look better for next week.

None of my business and I don't hunt where you do but it will do you and your crew no good to call out the locations you hunt, there are plenty of folks that prey upon other peoples hunt spots via loose web talk . My suggestion is call out your good luck but don't direct people to your spots unless you want lot's of company in the future.

Reactions: ilovesprig
None of my business and I don't hunt where you do but it will do you and your crew no good to call out the locations you hunt, there are plenty of folks that prey upon other peoples hunt spots via loose web talk . My suggestion is call out your good luck but don't direct people to your spots unless you want lot's of company in the future.
Not really worried about that as Blythe is a huge area. You can go East,West,South or North and nothing but farm fields but thanks, I would not give the street or directions. Going to hunt the AV this weekend.

Appreciate your concern about giving away a hunting location but while I wasn't specific about location, it may have been enough info. for a body to locate it if he were so inclined. There were so many birds in that one and only area, Stevie Wonder could have found it.

I'm cool with helping a fellow hunter have a chance at putting some food in their freezer. It also keeps the sport/tradition moving forward. I won't give step by step stuff but just enough to get them going and that chance that we all need/needed at one point. Today's ways differ from before, the internet/google is a place where just about everyone goes to for information.

Hunted private property in Bakersfield. 104 somewhat humid on Sunday Evening. got 8 birds, but not for lack of them. Im just a terrible shooter. Some people in the field, but not too many. Monday morning it was cooler, i got 9 birds with less wasted ammo, again could have limited out if we got there earlier and shot straighter. No one else in the field we were at on Monday morning.
(this should be in hunting report forum- sorry)

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu