Hunting D16

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Hi all, I've been scouting around East County preparing for the fall buck season. Most of the posts I see on SCH have been for areas north of here. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on D16, since that's what I drew. Tried for D13 but got my second choice, which is fine. I've been driving/hiking around Buckman Springs Road and the Lagunas the last couple of weeks and saw some promising spots and old deer tracks, but no fresh sign other than coyote scat.

The lower part of Kitchen Creek Road is posted "no shooting". Is that in effect throughout the area, or just from I-8 to Cibbet's Flat? I need info on hunting regulations in Cleveland National Forest and the BLM land around it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.

Are you bow hunting or rifle? The Laguna recreation area is archery only. Make sure you know the boundaries. Local ranger station will have maps that show CNF and BLM.

If you are in the CNF, "No shooting" means no target shooting. Doesn't mean you can't hunt with a gun. Normally the signs read, "No shooting except in lawful pursuit of birds and game animals" or something to that affect.

Breacher has it right on the money. You gotta read those signs a little closer. The area your looking at is open to shooting, but be careful, there is some private property mixed in there too. Get a map of the area.

Thanks very much for the replies and helpful info. Rifle. I have 7.5 minute USGS topos of the area and an accurate GPS that I keep on hand.

you should be set for the area then.. Never hunted that section of the mountain. I always hunt the rec area..

I'm sure I'll be pushing all the good bucks up your way! Seems like I'm the only one inn SCH who'll be using a rifle in CNF this fall! Anyway, it is fun to get out and scout the area. I'm trying to do it "the hard way": without trail cams, just locating good habitat and then if I'm lucky, will do some tracking. All I saw last weekend was old coyote scat... a fair amount of fur, some of it mixed with about 50% berries. Nothing more recent than a day old. I was up high on the road to get a wider view of the canyons on either side. Tomorrow I'll be down in the creek bed snooping around.

Again, appreciate the comments and suggestions from you and Breacher.

Nice to hear I'll have company! ...but not too much ;D
I was out scouting Kitchen Creek again yesterday. Went from Cibbets Flat up to Flinn's Ranch, Then drove around on Sunrise Hwy to scout Kitchen Valley from the north end above the ranch but below the Rec Area. There are a handful of open spots down south, but generally better suited to bow than rifle I'd say. Up in the more open valley, I'd be a little concerned about crossfire. How crowded does it get down here in D16? I'd rather not be shot at.
Breacher mentioned McCain Valley; I'll drive out and take a look. In VA and PA we always hunt on private land (friends, family). Public land is a different experience, and I want to hunt safe!
:-\

I'll be hunting D16 with a rifle too. :)

I've scouted not only the lower CNF but also quite a few other areas. I can tell you that last year I spotted allot of deer in some areas (does with yearling fawns, not bucks), but this year I haven't spotted any in either location. I've seen deer scat/sign and a few older tracks, but nothing fresh in the areas I'm familiar with. The only deer I've seen in those areas were clearly on private property (well within the private property) since private property holds most of the water and green vegetation.

I'm still scouting and trying to find a good spot that will hopefully produce a decent buck for me, but so far I'm not very optimistic. I'm already foreseeing the smell and taste of tag soup. :(

Thanks for the comments. I'll let you know if I find anything promising.

Bonejour said:
All I saw last weekend was old coyote scat... a fair amount of fur, some of it mixed with about 50% berries. Nothing more recent than a day old.

If the scat tastes sweet its usually a female with pups. Make sure you lick each one you find to make sure you don’t blast a momma coyote.

BuckHunter said:
If the scat tastes sweet its usually a female with pups. Make sure you lick each one you find to make sure you don’t blast a momma coyote.

Interesting idea... you seem pretty skilled at it. If you ever want to teach a class, I'd definitely pay money to watch you demonstrate how it's done! :)

Bonejour said:
BuckHunter said:

Interesting idea... you seem pretty skilled at it. If you ever want to teach a class, I'd definitely pay money to watch you demonstrate how it's done! :)

I'm the best. LOL. Just messing with you. That only works on my kids.

BuckHunter said:
Bonejour said:
BuckHunter said:

LOL!! Yep, those aren't raisins! :D

BuckHunter said:
Bonejour said:
BuckHunter said:

Yeah, but I might just try it on my brother-in-law. ;D

Anyway, looks like there is more manzanita than furry creatures for them to eat up there at the moment.

Bonejour,

I've been hunting d16 my whole life. Here are a few tips for you.

1.Wear your blaze orange because you will definetly have company out there.
2.Get as far away from the roads as possible. Not many hunters venture out too far, your success rate will go up the further you get away from the crowd.
3. Mid week if you can do it is also your best bet. A lot of weekend hunters.

Good luck and be safe out there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu