Hunting knife questions

archerthearcher

Dec 3, 2012
Ramona CA
I recently started hunting and need advice on knives. I plan on hunting pigs for now, turkeys in the spring and then maybe deer next season.

Do I need at least two knives [1 for skinning, 1 for guting]?
Is there a decent "combo" knife out there?
Can I make my own?
Suggestions on where to buy one? [I live in Ramona,CA and work in San Diego]

I'm a bit lost with all the different choices out there so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using the flip N blaze by Outdoor Edge for all of my field work. www.outdooredge.com/
Then use the Havalon Piranta for caping. www.havalon.com/

Lungpopper said:
I'm using the flip N blaze by Outdoor Edge for all of my field work. www.outdooredge.com/
Then use the Havalon Piranta for caping. www.havalon.com/

I agree with LP, I prefer the swing blaze by Outdoor Edge, pretty much the same knife though.

Buck knives they have great selection at the big 5 along main street buck 110 is the best for field dressing in my opinion

Dont over think the knife thing. You do not need a special gutting knife at all. Watch some videos on doing it and take your time. I like small little knives for gutting and field dressing and a med size one for skinning.

:)

Aeon said:
I like small little knives for gutting and field dressing and a med size one for skinning. :)

My point exactly... ;D No pun intended.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu