Hunting License Question

805er

Oct 25, 2013
I just got back from Ohio on a 3 day hunt on my friends property (didn't get anything). But my question is that since I had a license out there can I buy one in California? Or do I still have to do the whole hunter safety course? thanks for the help.

Tough luck on the strike out.

If Ca will accept the Ohio license no problem. They may say no unless you can show them a hunter safety cert. You have the option to just take the test at dfg or dfw you don't have to go through the course. ...unless you fail. I do not know if they still do the whole affidavit thing. Doesn't cost anything to call and ask.

Good luck!

sluester said:
Tough luck on the strike out.

If Ca will accept the Ohio license no problem. They may say no unless you can show them a hunter safety cert. You have the option to just take the test at dfg or dfw you don't have to go through the course. ...unless you fail. I do not know if they still do the whole affidavit thing. Doesn't cost anything to call and ask.

Good luck!
The hunter ed certification is the key. If you don't have documentation that you have completed the training, it doesn't matter whether you've had a license in another state.

Sent via Tapatalk

Here is the link, below. Their contact info is there if you want to ask about the equivalency exam. But be aware that ALL states recognize certification of hunter ed training, but not all recognize the exam. So if you take the safety course, you'll never have to do it again to hunt in any state.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/faq.aspx

Sent via Tapatalk

2 years ago my buddy wanted to start hunting in Ca. So he called his mom in Wisconsin ( where he grew up) and had her find an old license from 28 years ago, we then walked into Walmart and showed the lady the old Wi. license and she sold him a Ca. license and deer tag.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu