hunting near water

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
does this code mean i need to be 200 yards from water source

730. Camping Near or Occupying Wildlife Watering Places.
  • (a) Camping/Occupying Defined. For purposes of this Section, camping/occupying is defined as establishing or inhabiting a camp; resting; picnicking; sleeping; parking or inhabiting any motor vehicle or trailer; hunting; or engaging in any other recreational activity for a period of more than thirty (30) minutes at a given location.
  • (b) Wildlife Watering Places Defined. For purposes of this Section, wildlife watering places are defined as waterholes, springs, seeps and man-made watering devices for wildlife such as guzzlers (self-filling, in-the-ground water storage tanks), horizontal wells and small impoundments of less than one surface acre in size.
(c) Prohibitions.
  • (1) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within 200 yards of the following:
    • (A) Any guzzler or horizontal well for wildlife on public land within the State of California.
    • (B) Any of the wildlife watering places on public land within the boundary of the California Desert Conservation Area as depicted on the Bureau of Land Management maps of "Calif. Federal Public Lands Responsibility," "Calif. Desert Conservation Area” and the new “Desert District, B.L.M."
(2) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within one-quarter mile of the following wildlife watering places:
  • (A) Butte Well--T31N, R14E, Section 28, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
  • (B) Schaffer Well--T31N R14E, Section 25, Center, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
  • (C) Tableland Well--T31N, R14E, Section 17, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
  • (D) Table Mountain Well--T31N, R14E, Section 32, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
  • (E) Timber Mountain Well--T44N, R6E, Section 33, M.D.B.M., Modoc National Forest, Modoc County.
  • (F) Belfast Well--T31N, R14E, Section 31, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.

.20160821_065617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir. 200 yards and 30 min.

Good find. All the ones I've found are dried up. Walk the 200 yard perimeter and look for the tracks.

Talk about your basic grey area....This law has been around since I can remember (guzzlers, cattle drinkers with windmills, stock tanks on NF & BLM lands) and have never understood it....When & where does my 30 minutes start?.....It's only 200 yds from guzzlers or windmills not springs, seeps, or ponds.....So how close is my 30 minutes to these.....How long do I have to be away from said water source till I can come back?......So, I hunt next to some spring in the middle of nowhere, I walk away for 1 minute.....Is it OK to come back for 30 more minutes?.....How can anyone realistically enforce this?

And remember, this is only on public lands.

Last edited:
That is a cool find!
I'm guessing it is meant for cattle (although they may only be around seasonally and so you wouldn't have to worry about them now).

I found a broken water pipe very far North in San Diego county (CNF). But for some reason it didn't bring in much wildlife like I thought it would. They must get their water from natural sources and maybe they don't trust man-made sources like wells, troughs, pipes.

Trust me, Dan.....That's a perfect water source......Great find.

Stevo,

Remember, CNF bought a lot of the old Rutherford cattle ranch......Drinkers like that one could certainly be there.....CNF also leases some of there land to cattle folks.....They will have drinkers for those cows in most cases.....That water is NOT a windmill, guzzler, seep, spring, or pond.....Maybe a horizontal well....Again, when does 30 minutes start?....200 yds away?, 100 yds away?, 50 yds away?...25 yds away?, Sitting next to it?......Unenforceable stupid law.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu