Hunting turkey with .177 caliber

steve

Nov 12, 2012
About a week or two ago I read an article in a local Ramona newspaper stating you could hunt turkey with and air rifle; .177 caliber. After spending a few minutes searching the D of F & G website, I came across Section 311, subsection (f) which states, "wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is a least 0.177 caliber."
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice they can share in regards to turkey hunting with an air rifle. I would like to try turkey hunting with my Gamo (1250 fps w/ pba ammo & scope) this spring turkey hunt.

Not a lot of experience using a pellet rifle but if you head shoot them, they work great. I wouldn't try for their small vital area with a pellet rifle.

Attachments

• DSCN1104.JPG
    DSCN1104.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
I thought it was .22 cal pellet only but may have changed it. I know if you hit them in the head with anything they go right down. They have a very week skull. good luck.

Attachments

• archery turkey 2012 007.jpg
    archery turkey 2012 007.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 8

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu