Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Several weeks ago I had ventured into our nearby NF to an area I have frequented for over 30 years. The past years have been scarce with Ground Squirrels due to hunting pressure and the drought. This area is a popular attraction in the Spring for viewing poppies and several other varieties of wildflowers.

Al3FQTY.jpg

The area I was hunting had many fallen logs and rock outcroppings that make the perfect habitat for the California Ground Squirrel.

4lpqcFE.jpg

After hiking around for awhile I decided to take a break and relax under the large Oak Trees that covered most of the mountains.

djRb2AJ.jpg

While sitting eating my lunch I could see Ground Squirrels running back and fourth between holes and even sunning themselves on rocks and logs. This area has been so frequently hunted that only a small pocket of hunt-able areas have been left. Getting close to these Squirrels would prove a challenge as they are very “skittish” little creatures. My weapon of choice for this hunt was the regulated Crosman MK1 LD with carbine stock, great squirrel gun out to 75 yards.

VGqGvvL.jpg

I watched this squirrel run in and out of the same hole and was able to set myself close within 30 yards to make a nice clean kill.

wZWD4kp.jpg

After taking a break for a few minutes I hiked across a little ravine where I could see some more fallen logs and tree stumps that to me looked like great habitat for Ground Squirrels. The grass was so tall and lush that sitting in it was quite pleasant and too provided good cover for me to crawl closer to a few of the holes I spotted. After about 10 minutes of waiting I saw a few Chipmunk’s moving back and fourth over a fallen tree branch. These little things are lightning fast and have superb camouflage, the only obvious part about them is they’re constantly moving tail. As I sat in the tall grass, 45 yards away from them with a few overhanging branches keeping me in the shade to make my shot.

BInJCv6.jpg

The Crosman MK1 LD is by far one of my favorite Squirrel hunting guns capable of making shots that some rifles may find difficult. Too, the gun gets near 130+ regulated shots making it great for all day hunts like this one. By this time it was late afternoon and time again to leave this sacred mountain where I felt so much at home. On to the next adventure I hope to share more of very soon!

Reactions: xjon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu