I Need a New Backpack

ALPS OutdoorZ hands down, I have several of their packs and will say they have outlasted many others I have owned that cost 3x as much. The Falcon or the Pursuit models are what I prefer for several days in the field. I really like the front side pouches and the ability to pack my rifle onto it, definitely top notch gear.

I had an Alpz Traverse for years and hundreds and hundreds of miles. I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if that is your budget. The strap issue Larry mentions was never a problem. I don't think the pack should be pressing that hard on your upper back to matter, if it was on the lumbar pad I could see where it would suck. Only issue I had was from storing it in the garage and some straps rotted. The company replaced some and I did some sewing, it still sees service on my long mud walks duck hunting around the Salton Sea. Last fall I packed out the biggest deer I've shot solo with the same pack that I borrowed from a friend since I was having the strap issues. Heavy buck with the head and cape in an already heavy pack was more than it was designed for. I survived but immediately understood why people pay $400-$700 for packs and replaced it.
One thing to be aware of on packs that aren't sold as components and don't offer different waist belt sizes. If you are fit or just not a huge guy make sure you can tighten the waist belt as much as you need to to get most the weight off of your shoulders. The one size fits all systems can bottom out and you won't notice it until the pack is really heavy.

I went back and found the pic of the iritation that initial AlpZ packed caused me. It's not that the entire pack was pressing hard into my upper back... again.. their design (on whatever model of pack that was from them)... was a rip-off of the Tenzig design, but they had to invert it, most likely to avoid patent infringement. And because they did it that way... the velcro at the tips of those straps would grab onto the fabric of my shirt from the movement while hiking and would roll-over away from the pack and poke that pointy strap edge, AND the non-soft side of the velcro and stab me in the back between my shoulder blades.

It's entirely possible that they quickly on subsequent models saw the error in their (design) ways and corrected it. I don't know. I was just trying to do the right thing and make sure I shared with the brother the story of how I had to ditch their pack because of that painful design flaw. Do with that information what you will. I've had ZERO problems of this nature since I bit the bullet and upgraded to the Kifaru EMR II

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I went back and found the pic of the iritation that initial AlpZ packed caused me. It's not that the entire pack was pressing hard into my upper back... again.. their design (on whatever model of pack that was from them)... was a rip-off of the Tenzig design, but they had to invert it, most likely to avoid patent infringement. And because they did it that way... the velcro at the tips of those straps would grab onto the fabric of my shirt from the movement while hiking and would roll-over away from the pack and poke that pointy strap edge, AND the non-soft side of the velcro and stab me in the back between my shoulder blades.

It's entirely possible that they quickly on subsequent models saw the error in their (design) ways and corrected it. I don't know. I was just trying to do the right thing and make sure I shared with the brother the story of how I had to ditch their pack because of that painful design flaw. Do with that information what you will. I've had ZERO problems of this nature since I bit the bullet and upgraded to the Kifaru EMR II
View attachment 39137
I don't doubt it, I even went out and looked it over when I first read your post. I just never personally never had a issue or heard of it and they probably sell more packs than the top 4 or 5 high end hunting companies combined. I normally have just a tight base layer on under the pack and have never had contact from the velcro.

Welcome to "My Luck" then! And thank the Universe for deciding not to test you on a daily basis. HA!

External frame will hit things in the woods and makes noises plus I feel they are not as hunter friendly or comfortable. Most internal packs can go big and small and the weight of the pack is closer to your body for more comfort.

That is another topic for discussion.
Internal or external frame? I ignore the benefit of both and as you can tell I don't have experience to figure what is best. All I can do is research and talk and ask to experienced folks in this site ( which I know there are many). All your input is appreciated.
Dawnandusk, I prefer internal framed packs since they are usually more comfortable and less noisy. However, for hauling larger loads the external frames are more versatile. I currently have a Coleman external frame backpack for sale and a Gregory internal frame for sale. Let me know if you want details. According to your posts I am not sure if you have purchased a pack yet. Good luck finding what you want! R/ Chaps

I’ll be giving this pack a good test next week in D19. $150 bucks with rifle carrier, heavy load carrier system, internal frame. So far it seems legit.

Attachments

• 083ECC3F-0EA4-4F46-B68C-592FD4FEBC12.png
    083ECC3F-0EA4-4F46-B68C-592FD4FEBC12.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
I’ll be giving this pack a good test next week in D19. $150 bucks with rifle carrier, heavy load carrier system, internal frame. So far it seems legit.
I have that pack. It is great for carrying my rifle and packing out meat. However, it is almost 7lbs by itself and so I use a lighter weight pack for scouting trips.

Reactions: Yobiwon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu