I pulled the trigger yesterday..

Baller

Sep 12, 2016
and I think I have a shooter..!!!

Let me back the story up a bit..

Early 90's. My grandfather buys me a new Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 because he wants to go Elk hunting. Before we can get a scope and get the gun all dialed in gramps develops cancer. Beat it once but it left its toll on him. Gun sits. Gramps gets cancer again but this time he loses the fight. My hero is gone. Gun still sits untouched, can't bring myself to use it.

Fast forward to present day. Got my kids some hunting rifle as they expressed interest that they would like to go (And let's face it, anytime you can get with your kids where their faces are not buried in their phones is quality time..!!). Soo, the guys down at Fine Firearms get me all dialed in with some Tikka T3 Lites in 30-06 and 7mm-08, one for the son and one for the daughter.

I look at the Winchester sitting there and decide that it is time. Not sure why, just something told me it was the right time. Needed to turn it into a tribute rifle to my hero. So I load it on up and go see John and Nick at Fine Firearms. They take the gun and get the bolt cleaned up and the scope installed and we added a sling too. John even noted this looks like a shooter.

Then, I go to the range and fire a fouling shot and then its first 3 shot string. Best I can measure it was .4805 outside to outside making it .173 center/center (If my math serves me correctly).

Ecstatic..!! (Was totally not expecting it to shoot THIS good..)

Considering the trigger is stock with almost 6# of pull and shooting factory ammo I thought it was amazing. With a good trigger and some precision hand loads I would expect it to get a little better although not sure how much considering I am the shakiest leg on this table obviously. But it will sure bring me joy to now get that rifle out in the field to continue the hunt in which it was bought for. Even have a decal to put on the stock in memory of my grandfather.

I just wanted to pass this on and maybe someone will get a kick out of this tale or make them remember one of their heroes and how they have touched their lives and got them into hunting. I also would like to thank Fine Firearms. I cannot say enough good things about the guys: John, Nick, Chase, Rico and the whole gang..!! Thank you so very much, I truly appreciate your great customer service and treating me like family every time I am in there..!!

I appreciate all who have taken the time to read this babble...

P.S. - John, I didn't forget about your wahoo, I will get it to you next week..!!!!

Attachments

• Winchester 70.jpeg
    Winchester 70.jpeg
    781.4 KB · Views: 36
No babble at all...good read, thanks for sharing.
Shakiest leg my ass, you got that job done. You change the trigger and fine tune the load and you would be the sandbagger at the next bench rest match.
Very excited for you and your kids.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
That's great. My grandfather died when I was 9 but he is still my hero. I got all his guns. The best is a savage model 99 In 300savage. It shoots better then most of my other guns and I love it more then everything else I have.

You may purchase other guns in your lifetime. None of them will ever mean as much as the one from your Grandfather.
Looking forward to the story when that 06 fulfills its legacy, should be a good one.

Nice work! I know the feeling, did same thing with my Uncles guns! Way to keep it alive.
Fine firearms is great to me too! Always a great experience going there.
What was your load data?

Nice work! I know the feeling, did same thing with my Uncles guns! Way to keep it alive.
Fine firearms is great to me too! Always a great experience going there.
What was your load data?

Factory Winchester Ballistic Tip 150 Gr

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu