I really need to stop.

GUNDOGLOVER

Dec 5, 2018
Na, not going to happen. Went out on the Fortune on an overnighter and got onto some nicer grade yellowfin tuna. I limited on 25-30 lbs.. beauties. 19 guys ended the trip with 66 and a hand full on carp, also know as skipjack. The crew brought then up in the cart with the rest of the tuna to distribute, and they were still there when everyone had their catch. A cat walked by the cart and gave it a wide birth. Going on two day Oct. 4th. I hope that one turns into yellow tail.

.IMG_20190918_093948430tuna 9-19.jpgtuna 9-19 #2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job. Heading to Ca in a couple weeks... hoping the bite stays good and I'll jump on a boat. Ed F

Nice! Seems like the decks have been getting bloodier lately. Good to see the season really start kicking off.

Gun dog, Suggestion, I never let the crew of a sport boat cut my fish but I ask for a gut and gill so they get paid but don't do their thing as far as fileting goes because I have seen things that I did not think promoted the best of quality as far as take home fish goes. I was fortunate enough to have known Wally Potts back in the day (he's gone now). If you don't know his name he was one of the original waterman of so Cal (Google him and the San Diego freedivers club) He was one of the folks that figured out free diving and spearfishing back in the early days in the forties and fifties. What he taught me about filleting a fish was to never let the outer skin touch the flesh because of bacteria and slime. What he showed me was to remove the filet from the carcass but never let the outer skin come in contact with the raw flesh. What I learned from him applies to pelagics and inshore fish as well. Remove the filet from the fish with the skin on but do not touch outer flesh to the inner flesh (and keep your hands rinsed). I usually just leave the hose or sink running and run my hands and blade under them after every cut. Do it one side of the fish at a time then lay the filet skin side down on the cutting board and then run the filet blade between the skin and flesh to seperate them, then cut the filet into the size pieces you want on top of the seperated skin and remove them into a clean bowl, if you do it that the way I have described the flesh will have never have made contact with the skin. P.S. peeling the skin off a Tuna is not as good as fileting it off taste wise the barrier layer between the flesh and skin does not taste as good as a clean cut filet. After he showed me this I could clearly tell the difference in taste and flavor. Skin and slime taint the quality of fish in my opinion and experience especially with the lite flesh fish like Halibut and sculpin. Also every time he cut one fish he told me to wash the cutting board down and remove all traces of the previous fish. I still do it that way to this day.

Na, not going to happen. Went out on the Fortune on an overnighter and got onto some nicer grade yellowfin tuna. I limited on 25-30 lbs.. beauties. 19 guys ended the trip with 66 and a hand full on carp, also know as skipjack. The crew brought then up in the cart with the rest of the tuna to distribute, and they were still there when everyone had their catch. A cat walked by the cart and gave it a wide birth. Going on two day Oct. 4th. I hope that one turns into yellow tail.

.View attachment 41034View attachment 41035

I’m super jealous of your shitter chair!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu