Ice Chest Question: 1 Big One or 2 Medium Sized

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Hey Everyone!

I have a cow elk hunt planned for Jan 2019 in Utah and plan on deboning the meat (max of 200 lb) and driving it back to San Diego.

I am looking at a cooler upgrade and I am trying to figure out whether it is worth buying two smaller 60 quart (range) coolers, and 80 + 40, or just buy a big one? Right now I am leaning toward buying two Cabela's Polar Caps 80 + 40 which would give me the most flexibility in the future.

I know there are many good things about Yeti, Pelican, Engel, etc. but I want this thread to focus more on how many the whether the best choice is two smaller coolers vs one big one.

You can thank Field & Stream for me leaning toward the Cabela's Polar Cap based on this test they did a couple of years ago:
https://www.fieldandstream.com/arti...owdown-12-top-end-coolers-ranked-and-reviewed

I used a 60qt pelican and a 150qt igloo for my bull this year. I did not debone the quarters but I was able to make it fit. I would guess if it was deboned cow would fit in a 150qt igloo. I got mine on Amazon for like $100. Here is a picture of my two coolers completely full with the processed meat so I could not have fit it all in one even if it was deboned.

96D483BD-1C55-4AA7-8BCF-AB074FC0999A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeSCH
Go with one. It will stay colder longer. You won't have an issue getting a de-boned cow in a 160 Qt.

Reactions: JakeSCH
Hey Everyone!

I have a cow elk hunt planned for Jan 2019 in Utah and plan on deboning the meat (max of 200 lb) and driving it back to San Diego.

I am looking at a cooler upgrade and I am trying to figure out whether it is worth buying two smaller 60 quart (range) coolers, and 80 + 40, or just buy a big one? Right now I am leaning toward buying two Cabela's Polar Caps 80 + 40 which would give me the most flexibility in the future.

I know there are many good things about Yeti, Pelican, Engel, etc. but I want this thread to focus more on how many the whether the best choice is two smaller coolers vs one big one.

You can thank Field & Stream for me leaning toward the Cabela's Polar Cap based on this test they did a couple of years ago:
https://www.fieldandstream.com/arti...owdown-12-top-end-coolers-ranked-and-reviewed

Can you pick up a loaded cooler by your self, I use a large one personally but just slide it when it is in my truck

I appreciate the responses! I guess I don’t need to drop a lot of money on multiple coolers. I saw the Costco in Poway has a 165 qt igloo for $100. Thanks again. Saving me money to use in other areas.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu