Idaho Non-Resident Application Dec 1 - Online Fiasco

KennyQuacker

Jun 13, 2013
El Cajon, CA
Curious to know if anyone else enjoyed the Online Fiasco yesterday with the Idaho Non-Resident Application process ? :mad:

I attempted to jump online at 8:30AM PST to enter the waiting room queue. It took 20 minutes to finally enter and I was #12,834 in queue. I also dialed into their 800# to get in queue and had #3400 callers ahead of me.

At 9:30AM, the Online system Paused for 1 1/2 Hours, then finally resumed. Finally, at 4:10PM, I was able to get into the online system to actually purchase my Elk tag, license and permit. The 800# still had #1200 callers ahead of me at that time.

Overall, I was very fortunate to draw my archery elk tag, but I have no idea why Idaho cannot mimic the same system as CO, with an online application deadline, drawing and notification to follow. Seems too easy. Idaho F&G did send out an apology today, but sounds like they have no intention on changing the system in the future. Yikes!

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but people are spoiled today. Everyone wants life to be super streamlined and convenient. The way I see it is we were all able to sit comfortably in our air-conditioned rooms and take a few hours out of our day to buy a tag off the internet.

I tried to join at 8:30 too and was unable to get into the queue until 8:59:15. So I did make it into the queue with 45 seconds to spare, but was definitely getting nervous that the network issues were going to prevent me from having a chance. I was #10440, but the zone I wanted to hunt sold out with 6000 people still ahead of me. I will try for a draw hunt when the time comes.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but people are spoiled today. Everyone wants life to be super streamlined and convenient. The way I see it is we were all able to sit comfortably in our air-conditioned rooms and take a few hours out of our day to buy a tag off the internet.

Zak, I get what you are saying. My hide was just chapped, cuz I blew a day trying to get tags and my 2023 out-of-state hunt was hanging in the balance. After the experience I had, I'm totally willing to go thru the old snail mail system and wait weeks or months for the results.

The scary part is, this new Non-Res draw system was assembled, tested and run by state of Idaho, for Fish & Game Tags. Wait till the Government takes over our healthcare system. Yikes!

I tried to join at 8:30 too and was unable to get into the queue until 8:59:15. So I did make it into the queue with 45 seconds to spare, but was definitely getting nervous that the network issues were going to prevent me from having a chance. I was #10440, but the zone I wanted to hunt sold out with 6000 people still ahead of me. I will try for a draw hunt when the time comes.
So is a *Draw Hunt* still for Idaho and Non-Residents ? If so, when is that deadline ?

Zak, I get what you are saying. My hide was just chapped, cuz I blew a day trying to get tags and my 2023 out-of-state hunt was hanging in the balance. After the experience I had, I'm totally willing to go thru the old snail mail system and wait weeks or months for the results.

The scary part is, this new Non-Res draw system was assembled, tested and run by state of Idaho, for Fish & Game Tags. Wait till the Government takes over our healthcare system. Yikes!

It's been this way for 3 years and it's been screwed up every time. My dad was double charged and sent 2 elk tags last year and had to reach out 6 times to get his refund. They should have it right by now but I am sure the blame is circular. We're in 100% agreement on the healthcare part, downright scary.

You have a few months to put in for the controlled hunts. If you bought a license already its worth a shot.

I hate Idaho....Who da ho?

It's been this way for 3 years and it's been screwed up every time. My dad was double charged and sent 2 elk tags last year and had to reach out 6 times to get his refund. They should have it right by now but I am sure the blame is circular. We're in 100% agreement on the healthcare part, downright scary.

You have a few months to put in for the controlled hunts. If you bought a license already its worth a shot.
I missed the 1st year draw, but the last year it seemed ok. I drew #846 or so and pulled my tag after 2 hours maybe. But this year just blew me away how bad it was. I'll look into the Controlled Hunts. Thanks for that info.

The long queue actually gave me time to do a deep dive into some of the units I was considering, then I decided to forego a tag. ID sure isn't cheap, maybe next year.

Perhaps it is a good thing to require at least some effort to apply, but I doubt that'll happen. Remember when you actually had to travel to AZ to get a hunter ed bonus point before they screwed everyone by putting it online? I guess the opportunity for revenue is too enticing.

So is a *Draw Hunt* still for Idaho and Non-Residents ? If so, when is that deadline ?
Sorry for the confusion. I actually meant controlled hunt, not draw hunt. I suspect odds of success are low, but non-residents can apply. I think the timeframe for applying for controlled hunts is May, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

Sorry for the confusion. I actually meant controlled hunt, not draw hunt. I suspect odds of success are low, but non-residents can apply. I think the timeframe for applying for controlled hunts is May, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

I believe you are right, its still a tenitive date (3rd, according to GoHunt).

Generally speaking the odds are low for any hunt that is even decent. Good odds means there is something wrong like access or similar.

Reactions: BubbaEff

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu