Idaho-Palisades Elk?

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
My brother-in-law wants to hunt Elk in Idaho next year, his brothers live in Driggs and we can stay there for free. Looks like that's zone 65, but part of the Palisades zone: 64, 65, 67. A quick look makes me think I should be able to get a tag there. But the googles indicate most successful hunters there are on horseback.

I'm wondering if any one has any experience, advice, or anything for me?

I hunted there a couple times when I lived up in Idaho, there is a reason most people hunt off horseback there and many other places it is rough and remote. Trust me when hunting in country like that you will be thankful for horses.

motorhead said:
I hunted there a couple times when I lived up in Idaho, there is a reason most people hunt off horseback there and many other places it is rough and remote. Trust me when hunting in country like that you will be thankful for horses.

Thanks! I read one guy's story. He said the elk were relatively easy to find, just walking the trails. But it was 7 miles round trip hike through several thousand feet of elevation change. Sounds pretty brutal. How was your success in that zone? Looks like historically harvest percentage varies from 10-20%.

msteiger said:
Thanks! I read one guy's story. He said the elk were relatively easy to find, just walking the trails. But it was 7 miles round trip hike through several thousand feet of elevation change. Sounds pretty brutal. How was your success in that zone? Looks like historically harvest percentage varies from 10-20%.

Sounds like basic elk hunting to me...

Am I missing something? ???

You can't wait and you don't know it yet! ;D And you can't just go once.

I hope you get a tag this year msteiger. You will dig it!

I'm stoked. Already put in for AZ tags with my buddy out there and now ID too. Trying to line up the awesomest season ever.

I harvested only one year I went, those stats sound pretty much inline, if you've never hunted Elk before and you go it is a blast, some areas are brutal, I worked in the woods falling trees for awhile so I was used to it,

Just make sure you kill them in the AM....it can take 6-18 hours to get them out learn to debone in the nasties dead fall you can find on a steep hillside. A great pack and a havalon is a must once it hits the ground......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu