Ideas on what Deer tag to apply for

CaptJgray

Aug 20, 2013
Hey Guys,

My Cousin and I have been discussing what to Apply for this year and I figured I'd see what you all came up with.

I have a Membership at Tejon as well as a small ranch in Coalinga, so I have some pretty good opportunities at Pigs and Blacktail.

We hunted G-6 a few years ago and it was what we were thinking of again because of the number of nice 3x3 and 4x4's we saw. However the last 2 years seemed a little bleak

I was thinking about the Eastern Sierras like X9a or X9B, We are both very familiar with those areas. However neither one of us have hunted them a lot. I have 7 points and he has 8.

Obviously G-3 would be a dream but I drew Clear Lake Pronghorn without max points last year so I doubt I will get struck by lightning again...

Any Thoughts?

Oh Yeah, we both Bow hunt as well as Rifle hunt

if you had your heart set on a g zone you could look into g6 kern river buck hunt, sounds like you live fairly close to that area .

Thanks for the advice guys

Its been a while since I logged on to here

as far as the Northern Cali X zones suggested, they are just a bit too far. X9A is about as far as Im willing to go. I spend enough time up that way that I know the area pretty well. I drew the Clear Lake Antelope tag and saw some monster Mule deer while I was there, I just wouldn't have the time to scout up there as much as Id like.

i settled on G6 this year. For some reason I have a feeling its going to be a great year for that zone.

Sorry for any confusion, my cousin and I settled on applying for G6 this year. Unfortunately we did not draw it...

A zone or Catalina deer and a Tejon buck for me this year...

Greg,

I am interested in an Elk hunt.

I hunt pigs a lot and prefer to eat them over deer, so that being said spending money on an out of state deer hunt isn't something I care to do.

I grew up in Eastern Washington and have family all over Montana, so my options for doing a deer hunt up there are pretty much limitless. Im going to keep applying in CA until my daughter is 12 and then I will take her out of state for deer.

Personally I don't care too much about trophies and Im not going to put an Elk head in my house so even though Id like to shoot a big bull I would be happy with a cow or even a spike.

Can you suggest anything?

Hey Mr Grey haven't seen much of you. that little 10-22 is awesome my kids love it. even my 12year old daughter. Good to see you on. IF you ever need some company on those pig hunts let me know.

GSP

its ben a while...

Been busy and haven't been out a whole lot, I was down and out for 2 months with MRSA in my leg
Lucky to still have a leg... Scary chit. Especially since I caught it and was on antibiotics within 24 hours...

I have a cool scar though, now I have to come up with a better story to go with it...

My daughter loves that 243, I will post a couple of pictures. She wrapped the entire gun in Real Tree REM wraps. It looks awesome!

do you still have the paperwork? id like to send it in and get the ejection/feed repaired. she's been using it as a single shot but now that she is more proficient Im thinking a back up round would be good. even hunting coyotes I don't like to carry a gun when she is... so no back up shots...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu